This oak is getting in the way of my scrounges...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Soundchasm

Minister of Fire
Sep 27, 2011
Dayton, OH
www.soundchasm.com
I've admired this Bur oak for 13 years. It died a few years ago and actually affected me to a degree. It's nearly 4' DBH. One source pegged it at 175 YO and another at 225 YO. What a venerable monster. Pre-civil war to say the least.

Anyway, it dropped at 30" diameter limb in my yard. Worked on it with my little saw until the saw developed a problem. Then the doctor cured the saw. I had to use some strategy and take the long way around on a heavy length that was sitting on some old wire fence, but it's all bucked.

A little of the small stuff is hollow, and you can see the inch of punk on most of it. Between it and a small cherry that came down, surely it'll stack out to two cords.

I've had a line on some scrounges, but haven't been able to get off the property to go get them. Is this irony?

DSCN0883.JPG DSCN0885.JPGDSCN0886.JPG

Left a little something on the way down. Took a few months but it came down.
DSCN0880.JPG
DSCN1044.JPG

I'll have to quarter these to move them.
DSCN1046.JPG

I enjoy working slow enough to look around, and I saw stuff working on this tree that I've never seen before. I haven't identified any of this stuff, but the colors were stunning.

DSCN1040.JPG DSCN1041.JPG DSCN1031.JPG DSCN1032.JPG DSCN1042.JPG DSCN1029.JPG DSCN1043.JPG DSCN1039.JPG DSCN1035.JPG DSCN1034.JPG DSCN1038.JPG DSCN1037.JPG

Awesome colors, nice logs that is some big rounds, looks like you will be busy for awhile enjoy!

I've had a line on some scrounges, but haven't been able to get off the property to go get them. Is this irony?

Sounds like a good problem to have...

Some here WISH they had problems like that..........Myself included.

Reactions: Wildo
I don't remember exactly what round this is, but I think rounds 1 and 2 went to the oak, and 3 and 4 went to mechanical problems, but I won this round. :cool:

There's at least this much on the other side if not more. This is very nearly a cord, methinks.

DSCN1050.JPG

Reactions: Woody Stover
Status
Not open for further replies.