This was a bit scary...Broken Drolet hinge pin?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Woodcutter Tom

Feeling the Heat
Apr 28, 2019
Northern Illinois
I had a unique experience this week with my DROLET Escape 1500. The door started to get hard to close and lock. Usually it is a nice easy close-the-door and turn the handle to the lock position. The press and turn got hard like something was stuck between the door frame and the stove. I looked and could not see anything. The next time I loaded it up it was even harder to press and turn. I had a good size fire going so I could not open it up and inspect the inside further. I looked around the outside and saw that the lower door hinge bracket was no longer lined up with the stove bracket. The lower part of the door was much closer to the stove than the upper part of the door. The door bracket was actually binding on the stove itself. Had to be a broken hinge pin. But how the heck could the pin break??? All I could do was let the fire burn it course and let the stove cool down. And hope that the top pin did not break and the door fall off.

Once everything was cool I was able to lift the door off the hinge pins. The bottom one was not broken. SBI uses pins that are not totally round. They have offset round sections. The part that fits in the stove bracket is not on the same plane as the part that fits into the door bracket. Rotating the pin allows for the door to be placed at different distances from the stove. The pin is held in place in the stove bracket by a set screw. Apparently the set screw was loose enough that the opening and closing of the door placed more pressure on the door part of the hinge pin than on the stove part. The pin rotated causing the door to be too close to the stove.

I reassembled the pin and tightened the set screw. I also put some white lithium grease on the door hinge pins. I will be keeping an eye on the pins and applying grease as needed.

Others with DROLET stoves may want to keep an eye on the set screws and tighten as needed.

FYI: The hinge pins are not listed on the parts diagram in the owner's manual. They just show as part of the stove body.

1500 Door offset.jpg 1500 Bottom pin offset.jpg 1500 Top pin.jpg 1500 door pin.jpg 1500 Pins offset.jpg

So there are actual screws? I don't think mine has any screws, just only the pins, that fit into the hinge. Thanks for the heads up tho. I would message drolet on facebook and let me know about the flaw, they can only improve if they know what issues customers are dealing with.

Edit: Nvm, just reading my manual, states have screws. I'll get a better look when the stove cools down.

Yes, that makes sense, on the inside of the door, which is why I couldn't see anything since my door is closed right now. Thank you for the info, I will look at those the minute the stove is cool enough.

But I do know that mine does 100% need the door handle latch to be tightened up, cause I can see through the top right (closer to the door handle) and see the flame, just a tiny tiny bit. But good to know there is an adjustment on the hinge part that holds the door, I had no idea! Thank you.

Reactions: Woodcutter Tom
If you can see a gap in a door corner, then take and lay a straight edge across the top of the door opening to ensure the front of stove isn’t warped. Shouldn’t be, but could be...even though I doubt it is warped...doesn’t hurt to check.

The Drolet door adjustment system is a pretty nice system.

Greasing the pins and any other lubrication points is a good thing, even the door latch. I would use something with high heat resistance like anti-seize...just a dab on the head of a q-tip is plenty. Be sure and coat the pins as well as wear the door hinge castings meet the pin area.

I don’t have a Drolet stove, but here are some example areas.

The pin itself gets lubricated and just a dab where each flat area meets as well. Just enough to coat it. A little goes a long way and too much will squeeze out. That’s ok as well, but make sure to wipe it clean or you’ll have this stuff everywhere. It’s good to like 2100F+ degrees.

348B04C4-40B9-41E5-B6A6-208F1AB8494C.jpeg
21B236D4-5828-4F97-8B00-6F83CD866DBC.jpeg247CED11-32DC-4E03-BDF7-70A560AE866E.jpeg5BFB9FD1-DC9E-4F2F-A9C0-CE882C62FC0E.jpeg5BFB9FD1-DC9E-4F2F-A9C0-CE882C62FC0E.jpegB154AD0A-7561-4AD3-9C3F-F88E5E9BB7BB.jpeg

6A00A1D9-338C-4C7E-8F6C-BE67F0B7911C.jpeg
Use the q-tip or you’ll have this stuff all over everything in your house. It is hard to wipe off your fingers as well as anything else.

Any auto-parts store carries it. Even Wal-mart carries it, hardware stores, etc. Less than $5 if my memory serves me.

Those Drolet stoves are well built. I’m sure if a little lube and screw adjustment won’t take care of it then they will take care of it. Nice stove!!

View attachment 269868
Use the q-tip or you’ll have this stuff all over everything in your house. It is hard to wipe off your fingers as well as anything else.

Any auto-parts store carries it. Even Wal-mart carries it, hardware stores, etc. Less than $5 if my memory serves me.

Those Drolet stoves are well built. I’m sure if a little lube and screw adjustment won’t take care of it then they will take care of it. Nice stove!!
Thanks Hoytman, I bought some of this and used it today. The Q-tip worked great. Would be a mess without it.
I was using white lithium grease, but the door squeaked. This stuff make the door swing effortlessly and with no noise. Like you said, a little goes a long way. One 1 oz. tube from Tractor Supply for $3.49 will last me forever.
I appreciate the tip.

Reactions: Hoytman
Thanks Hoytman, I bought some of this and used it today. The Q-tip worked great. Would be a mess without it.
I was using white lithium grease, but the door squeaked. This stuff make the door swing effortlessly and with no noise. Like you said, a little goes a long way. One 1 oz. tube from Tractor Supply for $3.49 will last me forever.
I appreciate the tip.
Just don’t get it on you or you’ll find it in your car, your bed sheets and maybe even in your Christmas stocking. It has a way of migrating where you don’t want it.

If you can see a gap in a door corner, then take and lay a straight edge across the top of the door opening to ensure the front of stove isn’t warped. Shouldn’t be, but could be...even though I doubt it is warped...doesn’t hurt to check.

The Drolet door adjustment system is a pretty nice system.

Greasing the pins and any other lubrication points is a good thing, even the door latch. I would use something with high heat resistance like anti-seize...just a dab on the head of a q-tip is plenty. Be sure and coat the pins as well as wear the door hinge castings meet the pin area.

I don’t have a Drolet stove, but here are some example areas.

The pin itself gets lubricated and just a dab where each flat area meets as well. Just enough to coat it. A little goes a long way and too much will squeeze out. That’s ok as well, but make sure to wipe it clean or you’ll have this stuff everywhere. It’s good to like 2100F+ degrees.

View attachment 269863
View attachment 269864View attachment 269865View attachment 269866View attachment 269866View attachment 269867
Thanks for sharing...a good thing to know.

Reactions: Hoytman