This was a first

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
First time I have ever mowed the lawn in February. This has to be the earliest I have ever mowed. It needed it. The grass was 8" tall in areas.

You almost make that sound bad, almost. Haven't seen green around here in a long time.

Reactions: Beer Belly
It was a beautiful day and I didn't mind mowing. Still, it's still February! Normally I wouldn't be mowing until at least 3 weeks from now. At this rate by mid-March it will be needing a cut every 5 days or so. That's when it gets bad, especially if the grass is wet.

Last edited:
That sucks. One of the many things I love about living in the climate we have here is, by the time fall arrives I'm worn out with mowing the lawn and don't have to do it any more. Then, by the time spring arrives, I'm worn out with moving snow and I can look forward to mowing grass again. We've got a month of winter left and I'm not tired of the snow yet so I guess all's well. :cool:

We have grass here too in Maine . . . it's just buried under several feet of snow.

Incidentally, a whole bunch of snow and ice came off my back roof yesterday thanks to a warm up . . . before I had a gradual incline from my woodshed to the back porch as the stairs were buried. Now I have stairs cut into the snow going down to my porch . . . and the snow is now at the same level (actually a little above) our above ground swimming pool. Epic amounts of snow this year . . . and the crazy thing is . . . we were most definitely not receiving the brunt of the snow this year.

I just resurfaced my backyard ice rink, which overall is kinda like the winter version of a lawn - lots of back & forth motions. So cold I made 2 passes 5 minutes apart with straight hot water. !!!

As a kid I probably would have liked all the snow, but no longer. A dusting once or twice a year is enough for me. If I want more I'll head to the mountains to see it.

First time I have ever mowed the lawn in February. This has to be the earliest I have ever mowed. It needed it. The grass was 8" tall in areas.

At this point, they might never find what is left of your body, from my point of view at the current moment ;)

Reactions: osagebow and Dix
;lol :p We are on the flip side of a very confused jet stream now. FWIW I didn't hear a lot of sympathy 3-4 yrs ago when we were still burning in May.

I paid my dues growing up in NY and experiencing -15F in CT. As much as I love the Berkshires I would not go back to spend another winter back east.

I still like ya BeGreen . . . and as much as it would probably pain some folks to admit it . . . we like seeing the pics of the flowers and greenery during this time of year . . . gives us hope that in our little corner of the world sometime in August or so we may see some crocuses and daffodils. ;)

Reactions: vinny11950
-25 here this morning and the backyard is covered under 4-5 feet of snow. I have bird feeders 5 feet off the ground and I have to shovel them out so they aren't under the snow.

BG: why do you even heat with wood? You must cook yourself out with a T6! I think if you lived in Quebec you'd die of temperature shock.

I am moving too...in my head.

Andrew

BG: why do you even heat with wood? You must cook yourself out with a T6! I think if you lived in Quebec you'd die of temperature shock.

I am moving too...in my head.

Andrew

I sometimes go on vacations in my head . . . mostly to various islands in the Caribbean . . . it's really nice . . . and then I come back to reality and it's a bit cooler . . . and snowier.

The only stuff I mow is white. :mad:

I can't even feature that, Begreen. I'm still harvesting dog -hit from the limited paths available to the resident canid. I make sure to give it at least 4 hrs. to freeze dry. ;) Beats hitting it with a lawn mower, though!

Cuz I like FIRE! We are having clear days and cool nights right now. It's 38F and there's a full-load fire going this morning. I just let it die down without a refill until evening. We do get winters, just not much of one this year. I think this will be the lowest wood consumption for us since 1997/98 when we had a large el Nino event. The T6 is ideal for this kind of heating. It has never overheated the house. I like how it slowly releases it's heat for a long time, even after the fire has died down. The stove was still at about 150F yesterday evening when I started up a small evening fire.

Last edited:
I can't even feature that, Begreen. I'm still harvesting dog -hit from the limited paths available to the resident canid. I make sure to give it at least 4 hrs. to freeze dry. Beats hitting it with a lawn mower, though!
Watch out where the Huskies go don't go eaten that yellow snow

Reactions: Dix and Bobbin
Zappa... lol. I'm surprised I remember those misspent years.

My wife is in Miami on business and sent a pic- she's drinking ice coffee in a tank top, outdoors.

Meanwhile- it was -10F when I got in my car this morning- so cold, I almost had to put on pants.

Reactions: Dix and osagebow
Status
Not open for further replies.