This would be a neat thing to have

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Kinda cool, but my stove is in the basement. I chuck my wood in through a window well into a wood bin. Bet that thing is spendy.

Kinda have one.
Woodbox built of oak flooring scraps placed next to first floor window.
Roll wheelbarrow over to between holly and rhododendron and I can fill the wood box without getting the carpet all dirty.
Stove is about 4 feet to the right of that picture.

Attachments

• Woodbox @ window.jpg
    Woodbox @ window.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 555
Seems like an awful lot of expensive technology to supply a day's worth of wood.

GOT KIDS

mikeyny said:

I'm not sure that they are cost effective and they complain... lol

True it might seem like alot of money to some, but to others like me it could be a godsend. My wife loads the stove like a good girl during the day while I'm at work, but she never lets me forget that she has to haul it all up the stairs one piece at a time.

Problem I see (apart from cost or complexity) is that you might have a real hard time with building code violations. Dumbwaiters and laundry chutes are code violations since they effectively create chimneys in a house fire and can lead to a sever burn that spreads in half the time.

mayhem said:
True it might seem like alot of money to some, but to others like me it could be a godsend. My wife loads the stove like a good girl during the day while I'm at work, but she never lets me forget that she has to haul it all up the stairs one piece at a time.

Problem I see (apart from cost or complexity) is that you might have a real hard time with building code violations. Dumbwaiters and laundry chutes are code violations since they effectively create chimneys in a house fire and can lead to a sever burn that spreads in half the time.

What I do is use one of those two wheeled wood carts that I purchased from Harbor Freight (IMHO the best value and design of any of the carts of that style that I've seen - which was a bit of a surprise) and drag it up the stairs into the house, but 150-200 lbs/load is a bit much for most ladyfolks I'll admit. However what about attaching a winch to the wall at the top of the stairs, and using that to pull the cart up the stairs? (HF sells low cost electric lifts that work pretty well, and the 400lb capacity unit is often on sale for well under $100) It might be a great way to get the wood up with less effort and no major modifications to the house needed.

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.