Thorny Locust vs. Ash

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JA600L

Minister of Fire
Nov 30, 2013
Lancaster Pennsylvania
Hi guys,
I have a playground of Thorny Locust to cut up. Most of it has been dead for over a year. It is literally killing my chain saw..... It is taking me forever to cut it. New chain and bar was dull within an hour.

Another friend offered me a nice sized ash tree that was green and cut down while the sap was down. Is this any easier to saw? Will I get twice as much wood in a day sawing up the ash?

I'm just figuring as great is the locust is its almost not worth the time, effort, and frustration if ash is also available. What is the drying time for ash? Thanks.

I just did some ash. Saw cut through it like butter.

Might depend on the saw and type of blade. I have found full chisel seems to cut better for me.

How much you'll get in a day is pretty much dependent on you. It will cut much easier than Locust. Will (most likely) also split much easier.
Ash cut, split & stacked properly now will be great firewood for next season. Very few woods that I'd say that about.
Locust will hold overnight burns better. Awesome stuff, but I've only had the tame (no-thorn) varieties.

An hour of cutting is actually quite a bit on a chain. Many will touch-up after every tank of gas regardless of wood.
If it's that tough I'd have a few chains ready to start the day. Learning to sharpen is not the easiest thing in the world, but pretty important for efficient wood gathering.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Oh I do sharpen my chains haha. It helps, but this stuff is worse than American Elm. I've cut lots of trees up with this saw, but this is miserable. I might go after the ash then return to the locust. I already have over a cord split and stacked.

If I were scrounging for wood, I could not imagine passing on locust.

3 years ago I buried the 18inch bar of a small 50cc husky 350 into locust that wanted all of a 24+ inch bar to be done in close to one shot........ As cold as this winter was, having that premium locust on hand was well worth the time it took to let the small saw I had to work with, get the job done.

This is part of being a wood burner. Pass it up if you want, but burning 24/7 here for 95%+ of my heat,,,, no way I'd pass.

pen

If I were scrounging for wood, I could not imagine passing on locust.

3 years ago I buried the 18inch bar of a small 50cc husky 350 into locust that wanted all of a 24+ inch bar to be done in close to one shot........ As cold as this winter was, having that premium locust on hand was well worth the time it took to let the small saw I had to work with, get the job done.

This is part of being a wood burner. Pass it up if you want, but burning 24/7 here for 95%+ of my heat,,,, no way I'd pass.

pen

I don't plan on passing it up, just moving it further down on the priority list. If I can get ash dry in a year then I can burn it sooner.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Sure locust is a bit harder wood, but still...it's wood vs hardened steel saw chain, so I wouldn't think it would be a 'showstopper' as far as cutting. I've never known locust to make a big difference in chain life...at least not big enough difference to warrant passing it up or leaving it for 'softer' wood. When cutting I usually give the chain a quick touch-up with a file or dremel after each tank of gas... which may be every 45 minutes to an hour. Hardly taking off any material, but just enough to restore that pristine sharp edge.

Assuming you're not hitting any rocks, nails, barbed wire, etc - any chance your rakers are too high? Combination of high rakers, slightly dull chain and slightly faster dulling could all add up to make the cuts slow.

I recently had a similar experience as the OP cutting up some dead locust. Likely standing dead for several years and not a hint of moisture in it anywhere. It put a hurting on 2 chains. An expert chain sharpener will surely have an easier go at it, but I suspect us joe-average sharpeners have a similar experience. I did cut up one that had some moisture in it and it was noticeably easier but that hard stuff was heck on my chain.

I had a pro sharpening done on my chain, going back for more dead locust tomorrow so interested to see how much better it lasts.

Ash will dry quickly. If you CSS the ash now it will be close to done by next season. Dry locust is a hard on the saw, much harder than green locust. You have to pay more attention to the bar and chain oil. If you have and adjuster on your saw open it all the way up. As you experienced it is slow going at times you have to keep the bar oiled. The over heating on the bar can reduce the performance of your saw.

I just cut up some standing dead locust today big stuff close to 20"...i put the saw in a vise and used the husky roller guide put 4 turning strokes on every tooth..i swear it was sharper than factory..melted through everything...18" RS...i dont think in my opinion locust dulls faster than anything else...sharp chains are the key!

Reactions: pen
with options and time you can go as time allows. Get it all and be happy in the end. I would take the wood that is priority of the land owner vs. that is allowed to sit and work the other when time is available. The PIA will be long forgotten when you are warm through the night in January burning that locust.

As far a ease of work - Ash rate high on the straight, easy to buck/split scale for sure(typically)

One other thought for the OP - sometimes, when a person is on here with 'quick chain wear' issues, it can be traced back to the sharpening. If you have your chain sharpened by the 'pros' / shops, sometimes they are in such a hurry, they burn the chain teeth by taking too heavy / fast of a cut. The heat from grinding tempers the steel making the edge of the tooth soft and quick to dull. If there is any sign of blue, purple, black, or other colors at the tooth tip, it is an indication the chain was heated during sharpening.

With everything working, the chain shouldn't be that big of an issue. If anything would make me leave a locust alone, it wouldn't be chain life...
specimen2.jpg

Ok.. So my locust doesn't look like that at all. The thorns are on the branches only.

Wow I've never seen that kind of locust. Not around here. Black and honey locust here. I use a carbide chain for mulberry, locust and Osage. It gives you much better cutting power. I don't sharpen them myself though. Last three times as long and is more forgiving if you nip the ground.

Wow I've never seen that kind of locust. Not around here. Black and honey locust here

That is honey lockust.

Takes longer to cut locust and hedge. Found the chain will stay sharp for about the same amount of time no matter what type of wood is being cut, just don't get as much cut in the same amount of time with the harder stuff.

Hi guys,
I have a playground of Thorny Locust to cut up. Most of it has been dead for over a year. It is literally killing my chain saw..... It is taking me forever to cut it. New chain and bar was dull within an hour.

Another friend offered me a nice sized ash tree that was green and cut down while the sap was down. Is this any easier to saw? Will I get twice as much wood in a day sawing up the ash?

I'm just figuring as great is the locust is its almost not worth the time, effort, and frustration if ash is also available. What is the drying time for ash? Thanks.

JA, from what you are telling us, I would definitely get the ash first. You can cut it pretty fast and split it really fast and it is excellent firewood. The locust will take a bit longer to dry but is excellent firewood, even better than the ash. But the best thing about ash is it is easy splitting and fairly quick drying because it starts out at a lower moisture content. I still like to give it 2 years but you can burn it after a year if you need to.

For sure an hour is a long time to go between filings. Touch it up after each tank of gas and it takes very little time that way and you always have a sharp chain.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.