Thoughts on a broken saw

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

caber

Feb 6, 2008
Western Maryland
On Craigslist....

Stihl 025 chainsaw, lightly used, part of housing crushed by large log, have chain saw, bar and 2 chains and carrying case. Likely to provide many more years of service if you have the time to rebuild.

I haven't seen it. I'm wondering how readily parts might be available and how easy it might be to repair. And if this saw would be worth the effort. I realize there is little info to go on, but any thoughts would be appreciated.

thanks

Small small saw. What are you looking for? I've been going the other way, I'm now going to bigger saws, even with small bars. My biggest running every day saw (81cc) will scream in the small wood. If you can lift more, run it. If you want another saw just because, go for it. Not that you need to check my sig, but there are reasons why I have so many saws. I want to get any job done as quick as I can. If you can either do that with this saw, or have others, again, go for it. If not, run a larger saw that will get through most of your wood.

Hope this helps a bit.
Chad

keep in mind parts are expensive. parts and saws on CL and ebay seem pretty high usually.
I believe this is a homeowner type saw with integral cylinder and crankcase, thus harder to work on and rebuild.
In my younger days I built so many projects (cars, motorcycles, all sorts of engine powered devices) from basket cases 'cheap' that ended up way more than a better new or used device. But I learned alot and that was very valuable experience.

If the damage is cosmetic only, might be a good project to start on.

Personally I would not go more than $50 or $75

cheapstihlparts on ebay is used parts seller rated highly by AS board posters. or go the the AS board.

k

I have a Husky 55 Rancher now. I'm looking for 2 saws - one bigger for larger trees and one smaller for limbing and cutting smaller pieces.

The price is $30. If it's going to cost me $100 to tinker and fix it, that seems a fair trade off. If it's going to run me $200, it's a waste of $30.

The freaking case is worth more then 30 bones.....

Too bad your Husky can't take the Stihl bar....

caber said:
On Craigslist....

Stihl 025 chainsaw, lightly used, part of housing crushed by large log, have chain saw, bar and 2 chains and carrying case. Likely to provide many more years of service if you have the time to rebuild.

I haven't seen it. I'm wondering how readily parts might be available and how easy it might be to repair. And if this saw would be worth the effort. I realize there is little info to go on, but any thoughts would be appreciated.

thanks
your not going to be happy with the effort it going to take for the 250, when you already have a rancher(now a stihl pro saw that would be worth it)

DISPLACEMENT
45.4 cc (2.77 cu. in.)

ENGINE POWER
2.2 kW (3.0 bhp)

WEIGHT (powerhead only)
4.6 kg (10.1 lbs.)

FUEL CAPACITY
470 cc (15.9 oz.)

CHAIN OIL CAPACITY
200 cc (6.8 oz.)

OILOMATIC® CHAIN
.325" RMC3