Thoughts on buying 20 year old Regency I2100M wood insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Raf_Sherb

Oct 27, 2022
Sherbrooke
Hi everyone,

New here and not a lot of experience with wood inserts so I would like to get some advice.

I found this used insert, which is a Regency I2100M bought in 2001. It seems to be in pretty good shape, I notice a bit of rust on the air tubes and the baffles seem to be warped.

I heard it's a good quality stove, but I wonder if it's too old and I might get bad surpises? It is sold for 1000 CAD $.

See pictures attached.

Thank you,
Rafael

received_482514867176573.jpeg received_691950995602547.jpeg received_836369531144435.jpeg received_485274730322812.jpeg received_1246517529523945.jpeg received_675162847604389.jpeg

It's in decent shape. Someone cleaned it up, replaced old firebrick, and painted it. The baffle boards look like they might still be serviceable for at least a season. Was the blower cleaned and is it working? Does it include the surround?

It's a decent, simple tube stove design and Regency makes a good product. The $1000 price tag is a bit high. I think that's about what it sold for 20 yrs ago. Maybe offer $700 if interested.

It's in decent shape. Someone cleaned it up, replaced old firebrick, and painted it. The baffle boards look like they might still be serviceable for at least a season. Was the blower cleaned and is it working? Does it include the surround?

It's a decent, simple tube stove design and Regency makes a good product. The $1000 price tag is a bit high. I think that's about what it sold for 20 yrs ago. Maybe offer $700 if interested.
Thank you Begreen!

I am not sure if the blower was cleaned but the owner told me it's working well.

Yes it does included the surround.

Do you see any risk of having hidden cracks in this stove? Not sure exactly what to inspect when I will get there...

Thank you,
Rafael

Hard to say, but perhaps not. Unfortunately, we haven't seen the "before" picture which might have shown evidence of overfiring, if there was any. It could just be that the stove needed sprucing up. Hopefully, the repaint was done properly with good quality high-temperature paint. If not, don't buy. Also, look at the door and door gasket. Check for any warping of the door and do the dollar bill test on the stove door gasket all the way around.

Hard to say, but perhaps not. Unfortunately, we haven't seen the "before" picture which might have shown evidence of overfiring, if there was any. It could just be that the stove needed sprucing up. Hopefully, the repaint was done properly with good quality high-temperature paint. If not, don't buy. Also, look at the door and door gasket. Check for any warping of the door and do the dollar bill test on the stove door gasket all the way around.
Got it, thanks for all that useful information!

I wonder if I should just go for a cheaper brand new insert like Century CW2100 ? (https://www.century-heating.com/ca/en/wood-inserts/cb00027/)

I would use it only partial time ((1-2 face cords / year) so I probably don't need a top quality insert.

If the $1000 is firm, then yes, Century is an SBI value line and a decent stove. It's related to the Drolet which also should be considered.

The CW2100 has a small firebox, will this be large enough?

The 1500-i is the closest in size to the Century. The question after the budget is, what fits and how large of an area is there to be heated?

Reactions: EbS-P
The 1500-i is the closest in size to the Century. The question after the budget is, what fits and how large of an area is there to be heated?
The Century would fit but I would have to shim it up by 5in to make sure the cover plate hides my fireplace opening.

The main rooms I want it to heat have app. 600ft2 of surface, which is within the range of the century.

I was told it might be better to have a smaller insert to burn at higher temperature without overheating the room. What do you guys think?

Thanks

Hi everyone,

New here and not a lot of experience with wood inserts so I would like to get some advice.

I found this used insert, which is a Regency I2100M bought in 2001. It seems to be in pretty good shape, I notice a bit of rust on the air tubes and the baffles seem to be warped.

I heard it's a good quality stove, but I wonder if it's too old and I might get bad surpises? It is sold for 1000 CAD $.

See pictures attached.

Thank you,
Rafael

View attachment 301464 View attachment 301465 View attachment 301466 View attachment 301467 View attachment 301468 View attachment 301469
Hi everyone,

See pictures attached.

Thank you,
Rafael

View attachment 301464 View attachment 301465 View attachment 301466 View attachment 301467 View attachment 301468 View attachment 301469
You are blessed to get this unit if possible. I used to own the small insert about 25 years ago, and it was flawless in operation. I also used to work at Regency (FPI now). Also you probably can still get replacement parts if needed, or have them made . Because it has primary, secondary and tertiary burner tubes you get a much smoother and cleaner burn for sure. Also the design keeps the glass nice and clean, and only the odd high burn is needed to clean it.
Buy it for sure ny friend.

The Century would fit but I would have to shim it up by 5in to make sure the cover plate hides my fireplace opening.
A simple sheet metal extension can be added to the top of the surround if this is the only issue.