Thoughts on buying used chimney pipe?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thavg

Aug 15, 2009
Michigan, Go Blue
I have a gentleman near me that is selling a stove and complete chimney set up for a two story home. I am only in a ranch so it will be much more pipe than I need but I figure I could sell the stove and extra chimney pipe when all is said and done. Any thoughts on re using class a pipe?

How much?

Yeah, make sure it's in good shape and you get it cheap.

I made a similar purchase a while ago when I was looking for a way of heating my shop,,,, I got an older (but still in good shape) Lopi stove, 8 pieces of insulated pipe, and a chimney brush and 3 of those fiberglass rods from my neighbor for $100. I priced the chimney pipe new and it was $118 a piece, so I figure I did all right. The used stuff I got was hardly used, still shiny inside.
The one thing I didn't get from my neighbor was any inside piping, the ceiling thimble, roof flashing piece, or a chimney cap. Had to buy those new and they added up to substantially more than I paid for all that used stuff, so make sure you can get that stuff from that gentleman too.

The pipe ended up being in pretty bad shape. He had all the pipe and stove stored outside next to the garage and wanted to much money for it. Gotta pass on this one. Been keeping my eyes out for a used chimney set up but I'm finding it is difficult to find many eight inch chimneys. I'm going to do a new post on whether my Bk will run good doing a eight to six inch pipe reduction.

Status
Not open for further replies.