Thoughts on echo chainsaw

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Smock2015

Dec 8, 2015
Alabama
So I've been looking for a new saw and am leaning towards a echo cs-490-20. 50.2 cc motor with 20" bar. Anyone have any experience with echo or thoughts about them would be very helpful

I have a cs400 it's been a reliable little saw. Improper maintenance and crappy gas still haven't stopped it. I also have a backpack leaf blower with the same thing. I'm usually good about maintenance, but for some reason on these two engines I want do good in the beginning. After 6 years with the saw and 4 years with the blower I still like them both. My only issue with either us the blower has a fuel line that wiggles out of the tank and leaks on my back some times. Pretty annoying smelling like 2 stroke.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

My Echo always starts better than my Stihl. I say go for it.

Reactions: mofish75
My Echo always starts better than my Stihl. I say go for it.
There's that, too. I don't own a Stihl, but my dad, step dad and the property owner where I cut wood all have Stihl saws. I can have that echo cutting before they get their saws started.

On the dealer argument that usually series, I have an echo dealer closer than a Stihl dealer, but regardless, if I have to have a saw that I need a dealer nearby all the time, why do I want that saw? I haven't needed the dealer yet for the echo or makita stuff I have. Let it rip.

Reactions: CTYank
I work the hell out of my Echo cs450. It is a good saw.

People love to talk about dealer support, but that only matters if they break! Anyone should be able to figure out how to maintain their saw. Super easy.

Ok so now it's between the cs490-20 50.2cc for $349 or the cs590-20aa 59.8 cc $399 is the price difference worth the motor size difference

Depends on what you need it for. If you're cutting a lot of big stuff, the 590. If you'll be doing plenty of limbing and not much feeling, get the smaller saw. You will appreciate the lighter weight when climbing through limbs and whatever else, lower fuel usage, less noise, and easier to handle. I don't bean easier to keep ahold of if it kicks back, I mean in the small stuff, it's easier to wield around. They all have their place. I have a 64cc saw and a 40cc saw. I'm going to get a top handle saw because it will be so nice to use on small stuff. I also want a 70cc-80cc saw for bigger stuff. It's all about the right tool for the job.

I had to use my FIL husqvarna 455 rancher on the last one I did... I'm always looking for big wood but alot of what I cut is under 20" but most of what I cut I have to fell first..

Attachments

• IMG_20161105_091726.jpg
    IMG_20161105_091726.jpg
    271.6 KB · Views: 404
I guess I just want to make sure I have enough saw for whatever comes my way but maybe the 490 will be plenty with the 20" bar

Echo makes a good product at a good price. Buy for what you need the majority of the time. My opinion for what it's worth is; if you're thinking to have just one saw and unless you're cutting 10 cords a year, I'd get the 490. If you think you might go with a 2 saw plan get the larger and pick up a 40cc for limbing etc.

I think I'm gonna go with the 490! I think it'll be able to handle what I need it too and if I come across something too big I guess I'll have to buy a bigger saw at that point... Thanks for all the thoughts and opinions. Very much appreciated

Don't know much about echo. But I do know a few things about saws.

If you plan on running a 20 inch bar and actually cutting hard wood that buries the entire 20 inches to the tip then the 50cc saw will disappoint you long term. For an extra $50 bucks the 60cc saw is a better choice.

I'm not getting into things light weight, resale, durability, etc. all I'm saying is 50cc saws regardless of the make, while can pull a 20 inch bar if pressed, they work hard when that much bar is buried in a hard dense species of wood. Perhaps once in awhile I can see, but if your taking down a large oak that big, and have to buck the entire tree, and if you do that on a regular basis, well it won't be long before your wanting a bigger saw. Spend the extra $50 now you probably won't regret it. The 60cc saw will be less taxed and is the better choice for burying a 20 inch bar in hardwood.

That makes very good sense... when. I was using my FIL saw it has 20" bar and is 55cc n it had to work hard to get thru a big oak once the whole bar was buried

If you plan on running a 20 inch bar and actually cutting hard wood that buries the entire 20 inches to the tip then the 50cc saw will disappoint you long term.

Agreed; 50cc is 16" - 18" territory unless you're a glutton for punishment.

Reactions: D8Chumley
Agreed. I'm planning on putting a 14 or 16 on the 40cc saw instead of the 18 that is p on there. I only cut larger stuff with the echo when I've flooded the Makita and don't feel like fixing it, or gotten it pinched like an idiot. After the first cut, I clear the flood. It's just too much bar and thus too much material for the engine to reasonably handle.

If you don't mind purchasing from the internet checkout Zoro. They run some 20% and 30% off coupons a few times a year that apply to both the 590 and 490. You can be in one for significantly less than the $ mentioned in this thread.

Thank you for all the opinions and advice. I bit the bullet and am now a new owner of the echo cs590!!!

Attachments

• IMG_20161123_124906515.jpg
    IMG_20161123_124906515.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 498
  • IMG_20161123_124918010.jpg
    IMG_20161123_124918010.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 485
  • 1479927357161-1572011320.jpg
    1479927357161-1572011320.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 498
  • IMG_20161123_125012916_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20161123_125012916_HDR.jpg
    220 KB · Views: 523
  • 1479927512218-401559689.jpg
    1479927512218-401559689.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 464
Can someone tell me what kind of chain this is or what kind I should buy for best cutting thanks again

Can someone tell me what kind of chain this is or what kind I should buy for best cutting thanks again

Everything you need for chain type is on the bar in the picture you posted.

3/8 pitch
70 DL ( drive links)
.050 gauge

These numbers are universal from chain brand to chain brand. Any 3/8 .050 70 link chain will work.

Looks like that new echo is fitted with low kick back safety chain, which will not be the fastest cutting.

For 3/8 chain, I'd put on a loop of Stihl RS or Oregon LGX. Both will be great cutting chain. Those numbers will be on the box.

If you find you need more power, opening up the muffler and retuning the carb is famously effective on Echos. (Also against the rules, but the chainsaw police haven't run me down yet!)

Reactions: D8Chumley
I think you'll be real happy congrats. X2 on carb adjust even if you don't want to open up the muffler.

Reactions: wxdude