thoughts on papa bear stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cb550chopper

Nov 26, 2012
i have a chance to get a restored papa bear stove for 200 bucks my question is is that a good deal? would it burn all night? would it be safe? and would it heat my 996 square foot house from the basement?

Reactions: Oldhippie
Yes, that's a good deal on a papa, yes it will burn all night, if it doesn't heat that sized house, you are leaving the windows open.

That said, I hope you have a big wood pile. They heat great, but they use wood. Also, especially the first year, if you choose to go this route make sure you are running that brush through the chimney regularly (as in monthly) until you get a handle on the creosote situation.

pen

i have roughly 3-4 cored of wood now and im getting a few more loads before snow fall, my 18-tr is a good stove but too small id rather open a window cause its too warm than struggle to keep the house warm

My friend has a Old Mill step stove - I believe its fairly similar to the Papa in size. He has a typical sized ranch style house. He heats with it from the basement. That thing throws off nuclear heat - however he still has to have a box fan blowing towards the stairwell to the upstairs. That equals a basement temp in the 90's and the upstairs around 68F in the cold weather (we're both just north of boston).
Heating from the basement is tough. His basement is concrete blocks - not insulated.
His cats have moved from the first floor to the basement couch opposite the stove.

i have vents threw the floor my small 18-tr was making the basement about 80 my bedroom above the stove was 72 and the far side of the house was 66-68 the guy im getting the papa bear from says he used to heat his 2 story house with it the problem he had was the finshed basement was 90 the first floor was 85 the top floor was 70 he seems to think it will be too much stove for my house

If you're heating two 996 sf. floors, 1992 sq. feet is fine for the Papa with 1970 or 80's insulation and windows. You won't need to burn it hard. Llke Pen says, watch the creosote since you will likely be burning smaller fires than optimum hot ones for cleaner burning.
They were advertised to heat "approx. 2000 sf." Other Fisher literature recommends that model for "up to 2250" or "1750 to 2250". No BTU ratings were given.

I've often wondered about a stack of firebrick in the back to take up space, and make the firebox area about the size of a Mama. 24 inch logs would fit easily, and It would keep the fire forward, away from the outlet.

Papa and Mama both will have plenty of coals in the morning, and you learn to pull the coal bed ahead near the door where it will burn to ash. If you load the stove in the morning without pulling it ahead, the deep coal bed will build up, and take up the room for loading. Sooner or later, you will need to wait for it to burn down to ash to empty. By removing the ash in the front in the morning, then pulling the coals ahead before loading, you can burn 24/7 without a huge pile of glowing coals. I've waited until 3 PM the next day on warmer winter days to rake it forward and throw kindling on from the fire the night before. That was a Mama Bear with less wood than you will be using if you fill it.
400 to 500 is the normal price around here in NE PA. for any condition Papa.

I think that would be a good stove for your needs. You'll be able to push nice big splits into that heater.

Nice and toasty here at my house today with my Garrison going in the living room.

im hopping it gets better i hooked it up 4 hours ago and so far its not living up to the hype

If it has been sitting without firing quite a while, the bricks will absorb moisture from the atmosphere and it takes quite a while burning to evaporate them dry. It makes a big difference and sometimes takes a fire or two if it has been stored someplace damp or outdoors covered up.
Also, the chimney is the engine that drives the stove. No stove will work well with a poor drafting chimney, or one that has openings into it allowing indoor air to cool the inside killing the draft. Do you have an inline exhaust damper? Nothing else connected to chimney? Is there a baffle plate in the stove? (not required but makes a big difference in smoke output)
Don't worry about your $200. I am 271 miles away, 4 hours and 50 minutes. I can be there before it cools down. Cash in hand, and you can watch me remove it from your basement. ;)

Reactions: jjs777_fzr
im hopping it gets better i hooked it up 4 hours ago and so far its not living up to the hype

Zach, my usual technique is the get the stove very hot, with the initial load of wood. then reload as the first load chars and is burning nicely so you've got a full hopper. At that point you can turn down the inlets to just keep that puppy cruising. If you've got a good draft it should warm the basement within the first load.

Is it generating a strong fire in the box?

i finily figured it out with all your help,thank you, and i got the house a toasty 75 upstairs and a killer 85 downstairs but i had a guy offer to double my money and i found a like new ashley from a friends house that is being foreclosed on for 75 bucks and it being christmas and me being poor i think im swapping one more time, i figure buy the stove for 200 sell for 400 and get a stove just as capable for 75 i cant complain and my kid will get spoiled from "santa"

So what were you doing wrong, or what was wrong with the stove???

i finily figured it out with all your help,thank you, and i got the house a toasty 75 upstairs and a killer 85 downstairs but i had a guy offer to double my money and i found a like new ashley from a friends house that is being foreclosed on for 75 bucks and it being christmas and me being poor i think im swapping one more time, i figure buy the stove for 200 sell for 400 and get a stove just as capable for 75 i cant complain and my kid will get spoiled from "santa"

You must be one BIG dude to be moving these woodstoves around like they're checkers on a checker board! LOL!

I hope the Ashley works out as well. I'm at 590 Piper if you want to stop by and say Hi sometime. It's marked on the mailbox.

Great that you are now in the "family is toasty" mode.

i turned the inlets at 2 turns closed the damper almost completely and just kept feeding it the bricks must have been wet it slowly just kepped getting hotter when it got the house around 72 i turned the inlets in a turn and stuffed it with wood and the house went to 75 and stayed there every 4 hours id throw a stick or 2 in it worked great. also im not small and i have a walk out basement if i didnt i wouldnt be swapping them. i actually moved 4 stoves saturday i sold my 18-tr sold my wooodstoker and got the fisher and moved some weird stove for my uncle. the ashley stove i think will be good and very easy its very much like my dads king circulator and that stove is really easy and effiant. if i wasnt going to pocket 325 on top of swapping i wouldnt do it

i turned the inlets at 2 turns closed the damper almost completely and just kept feeding it the bricks must have been wet it slowly just kepped getting hotter when it got the house around 72 i turned the inlets in a turn and stuffed it with wood and the house went to 75 and stayed there every 4 hours id throw a stick or 2 in it worked great. also im not small and i have a walk out basement if i didnt i wouldnt be swapping them. i actually moved 4 stoves saturday i sold my 18-tr sold my wooodstoker and got the fisher and moved some weird stove for my uncle. the ashley stove i think will be good and very easy its very much like my dads king circulator and that stove is really easy and effiant. if i wasnt going to pocket 325 on top of swapping i wouldnt do it

Take pics of the Ashley and let us know how it works out.

Status
Not open for further replies.