Thoughts on this Boiler?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like a typical construted OWB. Looks like it is made with heavier steel so it won't rust out as fast but......... Take your money and get a gasifiing boiler. Use 1/2 the wood, and not smoke up the yard. Do some reading here and learn what others here have learned. I my self have been the OWB route and wouldn't even think about going back to one. A gasifing boiler has all the advantages and burns less wood. Start getting your wood now so you will have DRY wood for next year.
leaddog

What's the downside to a gassifier? Cost may be one, but are there any others?

Plenty o' dry wood. No worries there.

I've had a OWB and now have a gasser. Wouldn't think of going back. Can't think of a down side. If you don't want a boiler in house you can still build a shed for gasser and a few weeks worth of wood and pipe to house like OWB.
Depending on budget you can add some hot water storage at install or in a year or two. This way get your hot water needs taken care of all year round and get maximum output from gasser and wood.

As others said, its just a smoke dragon. Gasser prices have come down & no need to buy an obsolete boiler. The small Econoburns were $4500 for awhile. Check the threads here & you'll get up to speed fast, Randy

Singed eyebrow, I would have liked a Econoburn for 4500. Went with an Eko 25 and burn half the wood my neighbor does. He burned 8 cords of oak, I burned 3 1/2 cords of mixed wood. Same size house, his is a central boiler 5036.

ihookem said:
Singed eyebrow, I would have liked a Econoburn for 4500. Went with an Eko 25 and burn half the wood my neighbor does. He burned 8 cords of oak, I burned 3 1/2 cords of mixed wood. Same size house, his is a central boiler 5036.
Same here, while my Atmos is a good boiler it is not what the EB is. Glad your EKO is working well for you, Randy

lukem; read the "sticky" on fine tuning an EKO boiler. It's a gasser and I used one for 4 winters. Wish I could still use it now but had to pull it from my garage after the insurance company changed its stand about its location. Anyway the sticky will clue you in on some learning curves and throw tons of advice so you don't have to trhow tons more wood to heat your home. I heated domestic hot water with my gasser all year round. Don't have natural gas and use lpg for dhw and cooking. What I saved in 1 years lpg costs paid for two entire years of wood. My gasser spryng a leak & is for sale right ( see: Articles fior sale ..forum on this web site) now but I want to get back to a gasser soon

Thanks for the advice on the EKO. Pricing is competitive with the other OWBs I've seen. No way to get this beast in my basement so I would need to locate in my shop or build a shed, but that is not a big deal. Shop may be the way to go. Hmm. Lots of pondering and research in my future. As always great advice on this site. Thanks agin.

[quote author="lukem" date="1292997537"]Thanks for the advice on the EKO. Pricing is competitive with the other OWBs I've seen. No way to get this beast in my basement so I would need to locate in my shop or build a shed, but that is not a big deal. Shop may be the way to go. Hmm. Lots of pondering and research in my future. As always great advice on this site. Thanks agin.[/quote

Check with your insurince before puting it in the shop, many won't allow this. They would rather have it in the house or better yet in a shed.

Isn't Acme the brand that Wiley Coyote uses?
Doug

Status
Not open for further replies.