Three barrel stove? Draft issues? Glass door or window?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

docboy

Nov 20, 2014
Waverly, Iowa
Hey, guys. I'm looking into putting a new barrel stove in my shop. There's an old one in there made from one of those old fuel barrels people used to have in their basements, but it's not in the best shape. I was really wanting to do the double barrel thing. The current location of the chimney in the corner would work better with a single barrel. Obviously, I could do some kind of angle, but I would prefer to keep it a straight shot.

I was wondering about adding a third barrel. I have the room for it, it wouldn't cost much, and it would line things up better with the chimney. Would this do much in the way of capturing additional heat? Would the additional back and forth cause any issues with the draft?

Also, it looks like most the kits use solid doors. Has anyone ever used a glass door or somehow put a window somewhere on one of these? It's not the end of the world, otherwise, but, like many of you, I'm sure, I would enjoy being able to see the flame.

Thanks for your time.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.