Three Hours Work Results

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisN

Feeling the Heat
Nov 19, 2005
Southeastern, Ct
This tree in my back yard got some sort of disease and died. The last two years there was no foliage at all. This weekend I finally got off my butt and dropped, bucked and split it. Took about 3 hours total. Not that much wood, maybe 1/2 cord, but it's Ash and was a pleasure to work with. Now I'm eyeing a few other trees, but they are a bit bigger and closer to the house. I might have to call in the pros to take them down for me.

Attachments

• Tree cutting Nov 06 001.jpg
    Tree cutting Nov 06 001.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 722
  • Tree cutting Nov 06 002.jpg
    Tree cutting Nov 06 002.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 758
  • Tree cutting Nov 06 003.jpg
    Tree cutting Nov 06 003.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 752
Nice work! The ones closer to the house, you could have a tree company put them ground for you. Then you can buck them up.

I had the local tree company out to give me an estimate this summer to drop 4 large oaks ( about 100' each) I only asked them to drop them, and I would take care of everything else. I was pleasantly surprised when he quoted me $450.00 to do the job. He said he would put me on his list to do when his summer work tapered off. I haven't heard back from him and am getting ready to call him again. those 4 trees will go a long way to filling my firewood supply for the 07/08 heating season.

chrisN said:
I had the local tree company out to give me an estimate this summer to drop 4 large oaks ( about 100' each) I only asked them to drop them, and I would take care of everything else. I was pleasantly surprised when he quoted me $450.00 to do the job. He said he would put me on his list to do when his summer work tapered off. I haven't heard back from him and am getting ready to call him again. those 4 trees will go a long way to filling my firewood supply for the 07/08 heating season.

If they are dead and near power lines call the electric company. Our electric company zips right out and drops them for free.

Chris,

I love your avatar - I live for snowy days at home!

I too dropped a dead tree this weekend - oak. I am always surprised at the smallish pile of splits I get from processing a single tree (compared to what I expect). This was maybe a 16" oak and I'm sure thicker trees increase the pile considerably. Mine didn't drop like I wanted so I'll be starting a new thread to figure out how I should have handled it.

Wahoo, It always surprises me too how small a pile the end result is! My tree dropped right where I wanted it, but probably because it had a good lean in that direction already. I used the wedge one side and hinge the backside method and had no problem. I never really feel comfortable dropping trees, and much prefer to process them already on the ground. Thanks for the avatar comment, that pic is from the winter of 04/05, when we had a few pretty good storms in CT.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.