Throw some salt on it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nokoni

Nov 28, 2005
My inspector suggested that I occasionally throw a handful of regular rock salt onto a burning fire. He said this will crystalize any creosote in my chimney liner. Is this safe? I'm asking because the first inspector from my city who came to my house passed a bad install. This inspector, actually both of them, came to inspect my install without a ladder! I thought that was very weird!

I would not put any salt in my wood stove. That's the reason all manufacturers tell you not to burn drift wood. It will cause your stove to rust.

Nokoni said:
My inspector suggested that I occasionally throw a handful of regular rock salt onto a burning fire. He said this will crystalize any creosote in my chimney liner. Is this safe? I'm asking because the first inspector from my city who came to my house passed a bad install. This inspector, actually both of them, came to inspect my install without a ladder! I thought that was very weird!

Very quick way to destroy your chimney liner and also corrode your stove.

Elk must shudder when he hears stuff like this from "inspectors".

Craig

To set the record straight city inspectors are not required to supply ladders nor are they required to climb 30' up to do an inspection The cities do not cary insurance for that risk. That's why we require a licenced certified chimney sweep"s condition report and cleanning before issuing the permit. The system is what it is. I do the best I can and anticipate potential problems.
from experience. Rock salt = rocks in the head, bogus advice. If one does not know what they are doing. don't open your mouth and expose your ignorance. Now they have left little doubt they are clueless

elkimmeg said:
To set the record straight city inspectors are not required to supply ladders nor are they required to climb 30' up to do an inspection The cities do not cary insurance for that risk. That's why we require a licenced certified chimney sweep"s condition report and cleanning before issuing the permit. The system is what it is. I do the best I can and anticipate potential problems.
from experience. Rock salt = rocks in the head, bogus advice. If one does not know what they are doing. don't open your mouth and expose your ignorance. Now they have left little doubt they are clueless

Thanks for the info. about the inspectors duties. What if the system was put in by a licenced certified chimney sweep? Does another company come out to do the report? The inspector said that there aren't many people in the city using wood for fuel. I think if they are it is just a new construction fireplace and used for the occasional fire, not for main heat. Rock heads don't make good inspectors-the guy was really nice but nice wasn't really what I was looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.