tight door latch Jotul Castine 400

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mine was tight only for a week or so when I first got it new. Ok for two years. I looked for an adjustment in manual.
Nothing there.

I don't know if the Castine 400 has the same latch as on my F 600, but with my stove I was having some trouble with the side door handle popping open a bit after I shut it. I loosened the bolt on the inside of the latch and this loosened up the pressure on the handle so that it would move easier and allow me to shut the door so that it stayed shut. If you have a similar nut on the inside of your latch assembly you might try the same thing. If it doesn't help you can just tighten it back up.

I always put a few drops of 3 in 1 oil on my shelburne door latch, not sure if the jotul is any where the same setup though.

I sprayed some silicone on it and that loosened it up. If that burns off fast then I will try the 3 in 1 or air tool oil trick. I have a call in to my local dealer on this to see if this is common problem. It appears to have a spring under tension to make the latch tight. Get to use it again tomorrow night as we should get nice and cold with some potentially wintry substances on Thursday night. We shall see.

See if you can work some graphite powder in there. It won't burn off.

Haven't experienced that problem, but mine is real squeaky. I need to hit it with some oil but never do.

The door latch on my Castine 400 is so tight I can barely move it when closed or when to door is open. Is there an adjustment on this? Or is it something else?
Mine is not tight and have not had to do any adjusting. Stove is three years old and the controls on both the main door and the ash pan ar fine. I find I have to latch them tightly and check them to make sure they are properly shut but the seems to be a spring mechanism on the ash pan door. Check your hinge alignment as it may be pinching.

I put some silicone to it and that loosened it up, and then I added the graphite powder. Nice and free now, but I think it must have gotten some wet ash in it whenever I clean the glass. I find that wet ash is a nice cleaner for the haze on the window. It is burning fine and good today. No problems opening and shutting the door. Thanks for the tips.

Status
Not open for further replies.