Tiling a Hearth... help!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

richy_rich

Sep 5, 2014
London, UK
Hello there from across the pond in Sunny London!

I'm new to this forum, but having read the awesome advice you guys discuss I wondered if someone could help me with my latest restoration project.

So bit of background, I'm in the process of doing up my Victorian home and I wish to re-tile the hearth which is in one of the bedrooms. The existing tiles and concrete are cracked beyond repair and ideally I want to cover the complete area with a reproduction tile. I don't plan to install a fireplace, but just use the hearth for decorative purposes.

My question is this, being a relative novice to tiling I'm unsure as to how approach this job. Whether I need to take up the existing tiles and concrete or should I cover the existing tiles and concrete with a type of mortar which I could then use as a base to apply tiles? I'm guessing I'd need to Thin set the area first and apply the tiles to that.

Sorry if this is a somewhat basic request but everyone's gotta start somewhere right!

I've attached some photos, any help much appreciated. Thanks
photo 1.JPG photo 2.JPG photo 1.JPG photo 2.JPG photo 3.JPG .

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Greetings. I would remove the tiles and cement. Then build up with cement board to get a perfectly level bed for the new tiles. This would be better answered on a dedicated tiling forum. The one at www.johnbridge.com is excellent.

We have a product here that is a self leveling mortar base. Basically, it's strong, thin mortar that you pour over the area and it creates a level base for applying ceramic tile. I've used it in a restaurant kitchen and it worked great. Not sure if you can buy it in the UK but worth the effort if you can.

I would take the tile off if it can be done with doing serious damage to the fragile base. You can usually get under them and pop them off even if in pieces. I am not fond of building it up as only creates a trip and fall hazard for no good reason. I would then fill in the cracks and build up the missing areas with something like hydraulic cement as you can buy it in same amounts and you don't need much. You can ask you local building products supplier and see if they have anything better. Find the high and low spots with a level so you have a plan before you start anything 1/8 and under ignore unless a sharp step up the biggest problem and grind those off first. When you fill it in cement usually bonds to a wet edge better so the edges do not dry first and shrink away from the joint. Then Mastic for the tile and back butter the tiles with a bit so you have some height to play with. Just check as you go along with a level not so much looking for that but all on the same plane same as the base.

Above all I would finish that very nice floor first to get it well sealed so if a tiny accident no staining from it. Hope this helps some. The big thing is not to get obsessed with level but the same plane as the floor so it blends in and not look odd.

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated... I guess my main concern would be how hard it would be to take up the existing concrete... The tiles I don't see so much of a problem with a chisel I'd just be worried about achieving a level base that the tiles would sit and as suggested flush with the flooring.

Btw the boards are finished and varnished with a clear satin product, just need to finish the hearth then happy days!

Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.