Tiling new hearth

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Peccary

Sep 22, 2017
Nova scotia
i had a contractor build a hearth for the corner (2x4's, plywood) and along the two walls the plywood extends 4 feet from the corner. The problem is the platform is square but the corner is not so there is a wedge shaped space that is 1/2 inch from wall at 4 feet. I want to tile on top. How do I deal with the gap? There will be a heat shield 1" off the platform so the gap will show.

Could you cut 3.5" wide strips of .5" plywood and insert them into the gaps? Or just paint the area black. It may not show at all.

What stove is going on the hearth?

Do you mean paint the shim to match the tiles? that could work but unless I install tile over the wedge it is not fireproof. The Stove is a Jotul 3, 10+ yrs old.

Back at that location there should be little issue with heat. You could do it either way. Post a picture if you can just to be sure my visualization is correct.

Is this an F3CB with an ashpan? If so, the heath stays at a reasonable temp. You can hold your hand on the hearth under the stove.

I think I can cut 4" strips of tile and I can squeeze them in on edge for part of the way. I can fill the rest in with cement patch or something!