Timberjig Has anyone here ever used one?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never used one, but it looks like a lot of work for a little bit of lumber.

You might be ahead to spend your money on either rough lumber from a sawmill, or save up your logs and hire a portable sawmill to come cut them up.

If you're just looking for something to play around with, then it might be fun.

Play around with is the key. I want to build a mantle a grandfather clock and maybe a chair or two. I thought 165.00 to have to ability to rough saw lumber was a good deal, too good of a deal maybe. I think I'll order one and give it a try. I can always order the aluminum guide later if needed.

Make sure your saw is big enough. I'm sure they have a list of recommended models. You'll also need a special chain--the cutters are filed square instead of at a 30-degree angle. That way they rip instead of cutting across the grain. You can file a regular chain straight if you want to take the time, but it's a lot easier to buy a special chain.

And buy a keg of beer. Ya gotta have something to entice people over to help you heft those big ass logs around.

My saw would be from my FIL I'm not sure how big it is. I'm cutting lodgepole pine and aspen max dia of 18". My grandpa has an old farm boss. I'm not sure that's large enough though. And I'll keep the keg for my self, my buddies in proximity to beer and power tools capable of limb amputation is just asking for a Darwin Award.

Is a husky saw 1000 bucks? Look the jig...165.00, Jig and saw, 1164.00. That must be a hell of a chain saw!!!!

Those things take a big saw. One thing I've noticed when ripping blocks (the rare ones I can't split) is that instead of chips or sawdust, you get long, stringy strans that jam up the clutch bell and housing. I had one instance last summer where the stuff actually caught on fire. I think maybe you need a modified drive assembly of some sort to do this right.

Looked it up...wow that is a big saw!!! but I found it for 720.00

I'm thinking that the saw size required is probably proportionate to the size of log being milled. I guess having to purchase a chainsaw isn't such a bad thing but that will mean this little endeavor get's put on the waiting list. I'm painting my truck first and I need an airbrush so I can put some pinup girls on it. It's gonna look cool. I think I'll go satin black with black gloss pin stripes Then I'll take an SOS pad to all the chrome to give it a dulled brushed look.

A 395 husky is worth about 975.00-1100.$ new.A 3120 is worth about 1200.00 + depinding on where you by it . Most of thoes chainsaw mills say you should use a big saw.

Status
Not open for further replies.