Timberline and chimney liners

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Chooke99

Oct 30, 2019
Maryland
First, I am very much a novice at all of this so I apologize in advance if this is a silly question.

I recently purchased a home with an existing double door Timberline wood stove insert. I had the chimney cleaned recently and the individual who performed the cleaning mentioned that I need to put in a new liner as the original clay tiles were failing. No shock there as the house is about 50 years old. I asked if I could put a new liner in with my existing Timberline insert and he informed me that it would not be possible as the insert doesn’t have a place to attach the liner. After he left, I pulled the insert out a bit and he was correct, the top of the stove had a hole where the damper sits but nothing else. I guess the stove essentially just sits in the existing fireplace and uses the chimney for exhaust.
My question: can this type of stove use a chimney liner and what do I need to purchase for it to work? I would really like to continue to use it if at all possible. Thanks very much for your time!!

First, I am very much a novice at all of this so I apologize in advance if this is a silly question.

I recently purchased a home with an existing double door Timberline wood stove insert. I had the chimney cleaned recently and the individual who performed the cleaning mentioned that I need to put in a new liner as the original clay tiles were failing. No shock there as the house is about 50 years old. I asked if I could put a new liner in with my existing Timberline insert and he informed me that it would not be possible as the insert doesn’t have a place to attach the liner. After he left, I pulled the insert out a bit and he was correct, the top of the stove had a hole where the damper sits but nothing else. I guess the stove essentially just sits in the existing fireplace and uses the chimney for exhaust.
My question: can this type of stove use a chimney liner and what do I need to purchase for it to work? I would really like to continue to use it if at all possible. Thanks very much for your time!!
Yes you can hook a liner to it with a boot bolted to the top of the stove. The liner will need to match the volume of the stove outlet. Probably 8"

Thank you so much! Where would I find the type of boot you are referring to? I think you are spot on with the 8”
Most chimney suppliers carry a couple different ones. I have also made custom ones out of stainless but I am pretty sure a standard cast one will work on a timberline

Great! Thank you again. I will call around tomorrow to see if I can find one. Really appreciate your response and knowledge!!

That is fantastic! Thank you!!
I was reading online and there is some debate about how to attach these to the stove. What do you recommend, furnace cement, high temp silicone, bolts?

That is fantastic! Thank you!!
I was reading online and there is some debate about how to attach these to the stove. What do you recommend, furnace cement, high temp silicone, bolts?
Bolts are the only thing that will work. I put flat gasket under it. Anyone who suggested attaching it with furnace cement or silicon has no idea what they are doing

Sorry, one last thing. I assume you mean bolts into the stove itself....correct? Should I do anything special to the nuts and bolts?

Sorry, one last thing. I assume you mean bolts into the stove itself....correct? Should I do anything special to the nuts and bolts?
Drill and tap holes into the top

Awesome! Thank you! Makes perfect sense. I assume I should use the high temp silicone as well as the bolts? Probably 4 bolts? Sorry again for the novice responses!

Awesome! Thank you! Makes perfect sense. I assume I should use the high temp silicone as well as the bolts? Probably 4 bolts? Sorry again for the novice responses!
Nope high temp silicone will burn off and stink like hell. I gasket the bottom of the boot.

Sounds like you insert is slammed in. Make sure the smoke shelf and chimney were cleaned before installing the liner. I wouldn't use it until you install the liner. Slammed in inserts are known for chimney fires if not removed and cleaned yearly.

Sounds like you insert is slammed in. Make sure the smoke shelf and chimney were cleaned before installing the liner. I wouldn't use it until you install the liner. Slammed in inserts are known for chimney fires if not removed and cleaned yearly.
They were known for chimney fires even if you did that as well as lots of other problems. That is why they are now against code and no reputable sweeps will work on them