Timberline firebrick

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave timberline

Hearth Supporter
Nov 4, 2009
Central MD
Got a question. Sounds like a lot of knowledge flowing here. I just bought an old Timberline, but the firebrick in the back and on the sides is broken. It looks like the back and side bricks are about 9" x 13" x 1-1/4". I can't find replacement brick anywhere.....Any ideas?
My father bought 2 of these stoves when I was a kid growing up (and my family still has them). I thought they were great then and still do! Did I get taken for $300?

I have an old Timberline myself. My firebrick measures 9"x4.5"x1.25". I think you could fit some new brick into the areas you need it, then trim the remainder to fit. I think the thickness of the brick will be the defining factor, as a tile saw should cut through it without a problem. There are others here with WAY more experience than I, hope they can chime in for you. BTW, I modified mine to secondary-air, w/baffle, and am still playing with ideas. If all goes well, I'll post the results for review. If not, a video of 10lbs. of tannerite going off in a Timberline stove.

Dave, I've been looking for bricks recently too. 4.5" wide is the only size I've seen. Best deal = $15 / 6 @ Northern Tool. I don't burn 100-lb loads, so while I'm at it I'm going to reduce the size of my firebox from > 5.5 to < 4.5 cu ft by adding more bricks and stacking flat instead of standing on end. Some think it's a bad idea, but many think it will burn better for smaller loads.

Beetle, I'd like to hear any details you'd care to share. I'm thinking of adding a baffle by setting a couple of steel plates atop my thick brick sidewalls. Air could be ducted to the upper firebox with a piece of angle iron placed over 1 of the ~2.5" intakes. I have no idea if this air would be sufficient in amount or warmth to support secondary combustion. I know it wouldn't work as well as a stove designed for secondary burn, but I'd be happy if it would work for a short burst while I tended it. Anyhow, if your stove has excess capacity, you might want to try stacking bricks for a thicker lining goining higher up the walls. Consensus seems to be that this would yield a hotter primary burn and distribute heat to the top of the stove more than the sides. Both of which would seem to be beneficial for supporting secondary combustion. :)

Den, I got the idea from "Pen", and "Glfporshe". Type in a search for "fischer secondary air". Pen built up a firebrick baffle that seemed to work well, and Glfporshe did the full mod. I did this also, but am having flue issues right now, so I can't report on the results. My box was 3.0 CF, and now is 3.6 CF, to the bottom of the secondary tubes. You'll need a decent welder, grinder, and a drill press or mill would help, but it's not difficult. Because my capacity is larger now, I'm adding more brick to the sides, under the air-supply tubes. By baffle plate is 1/2" plate steel, with firebrick on top of it. It should stay nice and toasty in there. take a look at what the other guys did, and you'll get some ideas.

Thank you one and all for your replies. I guess I'll have to cut and fit the standard size in.

I would like to hear how you make out with your stove. Beetle-kill, I hope the tannerite doesn't have to be put to use. Please include pics. if possible, of your stove revisions or the tannerite.

Status
Not open for further replies.