Timberline wood insert help, new to wood burning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Jan 18, 2020
Impala1989$
Hey I just bought a house and have a timberline wood insert and inside the stove on top of the bricks is a curved piece of steel that seems to be pushing everything right up the chimney. Is this a smoke guard or is it supposed to be covering the chimney to keep more heat in the stove? Or catch creosote or keep flames from shooting up the chimney?
20200118_203020.jpg
Never seen one does anyone know what I'm talking about or seen this before. It looks like someone welded angle iron in the stove and I'm not sure what way it's supposed to sit in there.

Does anyone know what this shield is for and if it's in the right position???just bought this house and never seen one with that top steel plate in it. Is it supposed to be more towards back to stop flames from shooting up chimney? Looks like some welded angle iron that keeps it up front or in back but not sure and dont wanna cause chimney issues20200118_203020.jpg

Does anyone know what this shield is for and if it's in the right position???just bought this house and never seen one with that top steel plate in it. Is it supposed to be more towards back to stop flames from shooting up chimney? Looks like some welded angle iron that keeps it up front or in back but not sure and dont wanna cause chimney issuesView attachment 255526
It is a baffle and it doesn't look like it is in the right position

Reactions: Stinkpickle
honest question, if I was to by an older wood stove what brand would you recommend and why? we are putting it in our cabin and want to use if for heat in the winter.
Honestly with the majority of old steel stoves it doesn't matter that much. I would look for one of the bigger names like Fisher Alaska allnighter etc. But there were many other smaller places making stoves every bit as good as those. But you need to know what you are looking at to know if it was designed well. The bigger names are a safer bet