time for new saw

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vasten

Nov 11, 2007
Upstate NY
Well my 041 is done, may she rest in piece. The pistion siezed tight on her.

:cheese: So onwards and upwards new saw time.

What are peoples opinons for a replacement saw. I liked the feel of the 041, heavy but solid, you didn't have to worry about where you set it either. If it fell and it will, no plastic pieces falling off from it. I also liked the high torque to it, may not have rev'ed like todays saws but I think it would out cut any of the ones I put it against. It wouldn't bog or slow, where the high rpm and low torque saws seemed to bog down under load.

What I didn't like was no chain brake and no matter how tight you set that chain, it was always going. I also didn't like the bar oil port being next to the front handle. Every time I'd fill it, some how oil would end up on that handle, regardless.

I have used the husky 455 rancher, the lowes special and was not impressed. I think this stihl out cut it any day.

I used and old Mac, super mac or mac 10 something like that. Man it sounded like a dirtbike but it cut wood.

A friend told me about the poulan pro, really talked it up, went to lowes and could palm the saw and pick it up. I am not a big guy, it felt cheap and like a tinker toy. I was affraid the bar would bend in a bad pinch. (no offense to any poulan owners)

I am a homeowner, cutting log loads of fire wood, and the occiasional tree outback. So it gets used pretty hard for several weeks then not again til the wild hair hits to drop an annoying tree out back.

Any reviews from experiance would be aprpeciated.

I'd like to stay under 400 if I go new and half that on used.

I'm new to this but I would check out the Echo saws. They have a 5 year consumer warrantee and fell excellent!

I did think about buying another 041 but really want that chain break. Besides this one blew up on me with less then 10 hrs on it, to put another 100+ into a "decent" saw only to find out it was weak....

vasten said:
Well my 041 is done, may she rest in piece. The pistion siezed tight on her.

:cheese: So onwards and upwards new saw time.

What are peoples opinons for a replacement saw. I liked the feel of the 041, heavy but solid, you didn't have to worry about where you set it either. If it fell and it will, no plastic pieces falling off from it. I also liked the high torque to it, may not have rev'ed like todays saws but I think it would out cut any of the ones I put it against. It wouldn't bog or slow, where the high rpm and low torque saws seemed to bog down under load.

What I didn't like was no chain brake and no matter how tight you set that chain, it was always going. I also didn't like the bar oil port being next to the front handle. Every time I'd fill it, some how oil would end up on that handle, regardless.

I have used the husky 455 rancher, the lowes special and was not impressed. I think this stihl out cut it any day.

I used and old Mac, super mac or mac 10 something like that. Man it sounded like a dirtbike but it cut wood.

A friend told me about the poulan pro, really talked it up, went to lowes and could palm the saw and pick it up. I am not a big guy, it felt cheap and like a tinker toy. I was affraid the bar would bend in a bad pinch. (no offense to any poulan owners)

I am a homeowner, cutting log loads of fire wood, and the occiasional tree outback. So it gets used pretty hard for several weeks then not again til the wild hair hits to drop an annoying tree out back.

Any reviews from experiance would be aprpeciated.

I'd like to stay under 400 if I go new and half that on used.

I replaced my early 70s vintage 041 with a 290 about. . . . 6 years ago. The 290 has been flawless. If I had it to do all over again I tell myself I'd have gone with a bigger saw and I may have (310, 360, etc), but maybe not.

Arc_Dad said:
I'm new to this but I would check out the Echo saws. They have a 5 year consumer warrantee and fell excellent!

I don't have a bunch of Echo experience, but, I bought my dad a CS360 top handle limbing saw for Christmas and it is a well built machine and over $100 than the equivalent Stihl.

O41 RIP,

I do not like to encourage it but stihl parts are stihl available. You just need to know wear to go.

How about looking at Husky 450. This saw is getting some good marks. I would stay away from the box stores. Nothing but the cheapest of most makes. Echo makes a good saw but a bit heavier than the rest.Shindawa is next on thee list. Do a search on the Arborists site on this. Again many good remarks, Ken

Stihl MS361. Great, great saw.

I have it with a 20" bar and it ran around $620.

Dolmar 5100s ~$450 new.

Pro line Stihl or Husqvarna (nothing from a big box store) in the 50cc-60cc range. (they will cost more than the Dolmar).

MarkG

yukiginger said:
Dolmar 5100s ~$450 new.

Pro line Stihl or Husqvarna (nothing from a big box store) in the 50cc-60cc range. (they will cost more than the Dolmar).

MarkG

i got a 260 pro tax inculded 430.00

I have a 361 with a 20" bar/full chisel chain and love it. Yesterday I had to trim a few pieces down and fired it up, it didn't take long to remember how much more I enjoy cutting over splitting. I know it's above your price range but I've seen some really nice 361's used in your range. It's a saw that if taken care of you can hand down through the family. :)

+1 on the Dolmar 5100, or possibly the 510, but any good grade saw would probably do as well. As others have suggested, stay away from the big-box stores as they are only going to sell the bottom end saws. You also have to learn how to spell "Poulan" - it should be "Pull-on" - as in what you will do a lot of... (Though I've heard a fairly large number of people say that they've had decent luck with the Poulan "Wild Thing" saws - cheap and low power, but hard to kill...)

IMHO, it is probably best for the 5-6 cord / year cutters to go for a pro-grade, or at least a mid-grade saw - the homeowner grades will do the job, but not be happy about it, as they are really more intended for the occasional storm cleanup or other light duty cutting.

Gooserider

Just an FYI - a 50cc saw (Dolmer 5100, Stihl 260) may or may not be enough for you, but it is a substantial step down from a 041.

I have a 260 pro and cut loads of fire wood and fell trees with it and it works great with a 18"bar I can use it all day it is light and has plenty of power. Get a stihl yellow chain with it and cut away!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.