Time to rebuild a free splitter......where to begin?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

griz7674

Hearth Supporter
Jan 28, 2009
Illinois
My father-in-law has a fairly large horizontal splitter that he is giving me for $50. He last used it about 7-8 years ago and put it up when the engine locked up. He had planned on rebuilding it a few years ago and had the cylinder checked and it tested fine. So, I am needing to get a new engine for this. I am also wanting to take the single splitter off and put in a 4-way splitter. So, how do I figure this out? Such as.....what size engine should I get (and what type) and how do I tell how many tons this unit is as I don't want a motor that pushes too fast. Any thoughts or websites you can send me to would be appreciated!

Bob

First off congratulations on your project.
To determine possible tonnage you need to determine cylinder bore size. To do this measure the outside diameter of the cylinder and subtract 1/2" this will be the bore size. Most splitters on the market have 4", 4 1/2", or 5" bore cylinders. Tonnage is a combination of bore size and maximum pump pressure. Common splitter pumps are rated for a max. 3000 psi. At 3000 psi a 4" bore will provide 18.8 tons, 4 1/2" bore will provide 23.8 tons, and a 5" bore will provide 29.4 tons.

The engine size is determined by pump requirements. Single stage pumps require about 2 hp. per gallon of pump capacity at 3000 psi. While 2- stage pumps only require 1/2 hp. per gallon at 3000 psi. Horizontal shaft engines are preferred because they are readily adaptable to pumps. Pump gallons per minute determine the speed of the cylinder.

Four-way wedges should always be removable because they don't work with all wood and require more tonnage.

With pics of the pump and splitter we might be able offer more specific advice.

Here is a site that has calculators that can be helpful.

http://www.baumhydraulics.com/home.php?xid=df0a2cfa6755bdf53af8a9b15a9540bb

Figure 5 hp for a 11 gpm pump, 8 hp for 13gpm, go up from there.
I agree on a removable 4 way.

I am overhauling my 30 year old splitter over time so I can relate. You can get a brand new 5 horse Honda for around $300 from Northern Tool. Just make sure it will fit up to the pump correctly.

Can you tell how many HP the old engine had? If so, match it. I would be inclined to buy a cheap 150$ engine from Harbor freight so long as the pump would bolt up.

The speed of the ram is not determined by the engine size. The pump size determines the speed of the ram and that isn't changing. You can't just run a 4-way wedge with any splitter, the 4-way takes a lot of force to work. Still, you may have some easy wood so a slip on 4-way wedge would be a good feature.

Highbeam said:
Can you tell how many HP the old engine had? If so, match it. I would be inclined to buy a cheap 150$ engine from Harbor freight so long as the pump would bolt up.

I agree on the HF engine. I replaced my twenty year old five horse Briggs a couple of years ago with a 6.5 horse Chinese Honda knockoff from Harbor and that little motor is a delight. Cost me $98 on sale with a coupon. I bought two and am going to put the other one on my compressor when I get around to it.

The things are such exact copies that Honda parts fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.