Time to replace an old Waterford but might need rear vent....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

amandell

Jan 22, 2023
Hiram, Maine
Hey there. Just been a lurker here but I have an issue I need a hand with. Dragged a free Waterford Trinity into this 1835 Maine farmhouse when we got it four years ago. Love the stove and its been are primary heat for those years but was already beat up and over fired (the baffle exit looks like a molten hole of twisted metal) and we are burning more and more wood with less heat. She is a drafty old place which (working on that) and the first floor is prolly 1800 feet. Anyway, maine problem is that the hearth is pretty cool with the original old wood surround and this funky iron framework that right now has the top of the six inch flue entering the chimney at about 32 inches off the ground. The cool thing about the trinity is the rear exit, that and the air intake. Are there any large (like 100,000 btu range) efficient modern stoves that can vent that low. I realize I can raise the entrance to the chinmey but its a historic home and would be a bit of a shame. I guess I could rebuild the trinity also but its pretty beaten up inside and parts are hard to come by. Plus I removed the old oil furnace and now it just has a couple small mini split heat pumps to help it do a large, leaky farmhouse. Gonna hit five cords this year and it has not been that cold yet.

100k btu’s? That is a lot for a wood stove. Other may have ideas but I don’t recall seeing a stove output that much but I have not reviewed all stoves. I think a few are at or close to 80k. Rear flue will reduce your selection significantly as I was shopping around and needed the same. Was looking at the Ashford 30 but it’s a topper so went with Woodstock Progress Hybrid.

100k btu’s? That is a lot for a wood stove. Other may have ideas but I don’t recall seeing a stove output that much but I have not reviewed all stoves. I think a few are at or close to 80k. Rear flue will reduce your selection significantly as I was shopping around and needed the same. Was looking at the Ashford 30 but it’s a topper so went with Woodstock Progress Hybrid.
Hey KDubU. Thanks for the response. I guess I was just seeing many specs online in the higher btu range but no idea if its accurate. In the end I am just looking for larger house options that can get under a 32" firebox limit. I had so much going on with the homestead between growing food, chickens, and rebuilding just about everything I admitt for four years I have just been tossing wood in, sometimes every couple hours and really not learning much about the whole scene. The waterford was over fired when I got her so I just rocked on best I could but I realize now its time to double back and learn. Just planning ahead for next year. That Progress looks nice but might be past our budget. I may even take some pictures and ask some folks here about rehabbing the Trinity. If anybody has a large house stove they are pleased with on here that would clear that 32" limit I would like to hear about it. Meanwhile I am reading through the site and learning. Thanks.

The Trinity was rated at 50K Btus/hr max.
Look at the Jotul F45 and F55 in non-cat stoves and the Woodstock Ideal Steel and the Progress Hybrid for cat stoves that can easily clear the 32" lintel.