Time will tell if its better

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SolarAndWood

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 3, 2008
Syracuse NY
But there is no doubt that is bigger. VC Encore in the foreground with BK King behind it.

Attachments

• EncoreBKsidebyside.jpg
    EncoreBKsidebyside.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 927
It looks like the BK is about to have a snack. Are you in need of heating a gymnasium or something!?!

pen

Stop teasing us and give us a whole picture of your new stove!

It certainly made a meal out of me getting it out of the trailer and into the house. Our stove sits in a 1000 sq ft room and heats the whole house 24/7. I have destroyed 2 VCs doing it within 2 heating seasons each, hoping the BK does the trick.

Keep us updated on your new toy, there are many here that want to hear how a full load of hardwood burns in that beast.

Todd said:
Stop teasing us and give us a whole picture of your new stove!

My apologies, no tease intended...

Attachments

• BK profile.jpg
    BK profile.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 905
looks a little close to the drywall...

Actually cement board. The house is in the middle of a complete rebuild. Once it is done and the boiler is in place, the stove will find a home at the end of the space instead of the middle of it. Although, after looking at this thing, I'm not sure we will need a boiler. Solar DHW and the King might be a better combination.

Glad to see you got it.

SolarAndWood said:
Actually cement board. The house is in the middle of a complete rebuild. Once it is done and the boiler is in place, the stove will find a home at the end of the space instead of the middle of it. Although, after looking at this thing, I'm not sure we will need a boiler. Solar DHW and the King might be a better combination.

Sweet deal.

Does the stove have the rear heat shield? If yes, 6" to combustibles. If not, 9" to the studs behind the cement board appears to be what's called for.

If it doesn't work out for heat you can always rent it out as a spare bedroom.

Daryl said:
Glad to see you got it.

Thanks Daryl. I very rarely buy anything sight unseen but appreciate our dialog and would recommend you to anyone. I'll follow up with you in an email later this weekend. Thanks again.

BeGreen said:
Does the stove have the rear heat shield? If yes, 6" to combustibles.

It has the dual fan kit. It will be interesting to see how it moves heat around the house. I would love to get out of the complexity of a boiler and just do solar for dhw.

BrotherBart said:
If it doesn't work out for heat you can always rent it out as a spare bedroom.

I was thinking it could be the woodshed if it doesn't work out and my wife demands that I build out her front porch instead of using it as the shed.

I'm waiting to hear from you what your burn times are. I about spilled my beer when I just went to their website and read that they claim up to 47 hours of heat from 1 load! That's un-fickin-believable!

I used to grin ear to ear when I got 10 hours out of the old fisher.

pen

If I get 10 hour burns that keep the house warm and don't destroy the stove in two seasons, I will be more than satisfied.

With all due respect. What the hell do you do to destroy a stove in two seasons? You could drop a bomb on my house and all that would be left was the stove Just wondering?

Burn. While the shell of the two stoves may still be intact and indeed would probably survive a bomb drop, the insides of them are shot and they consume a lot of wood to put out any kind of heat without the catalytic functional. They were run hard 24/7 October through early May and just were not up to it.

SolarAndWood said:
If I get 10 hour burns that keep the house warm and don't destroy the stove in two seasons, I will be more than satisfied.

If four cubic feet of firebox and a cat won't keep your house warm, move. Four point three cubic feet of pre-EPA stove kept this place warm on three degree nights. And it was the dreaded fireplace insert into a external chimeny.

Of course the gutters popping when they shrank kept me awake in case I needed to feed the stove.

I had no problem keeping the house warm with the old stove when they were like new; they didn't stay in that condition for very long. If they did or didn't cost a fortune to maintain them, I wouldn't have 900 lbs of cast iron sitting in the garage right now. I think a big steel firebrick lined firebox is right for us.

Well, that 4.3 stove was steel. Which if I haven't mentioned it this week, RULES. If God had intended stoves to be made out of cast iron or rocks he wouldn't of let welding rods to be invented. ;-P

Let us know how it does.

Will do. The first hurdle was having it in the house when my wife got home. She smiled and said steel is real.

SolarAndWood said:
Will do. The first hurdle was having it in the house when my wife got home. She smiled and said steel is real.

I like your lady. Mine thinks the 30-NC is "cute". Says it looks like a real wood stove and says she likes being warm. She is a wood burner.

That is a lot of steel to be labeling cute.

Status
Not open for further replies.