timer wall switches

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
They also have wireless switches that run on a battery. They are paired with the powered switch. So you could have a switch downstairs without snaking another wire.

Thinkbee Wireless Lights Switch Kit, No Wiring Mini Remote Switch, No WiFi Needed, Outdoor 1969ft Indoor 328ft Remote Control Lighting Fixture for Led Light, Ceiling Lights and Lamps, Waterproof Amazon product ASIN B0814R5PSX
That battery one is nice. I like that. Though batteries (or a wired-power wireless-signal) are less environmentally appealing, imo. (Unless the wireless switch only uses power at the switching moment..?)

I'll check into that. I like the solution preventing a wire.

Years ago I worked for a boy scout camp. There was one staff shower with hot water with a staff of about 60. The hot water came from the kitchen and timing was crucial to make sure there was enough hot water. There was the old fashioned mechanical twist timer on the wall that controlled hot water and the light. When the timer slowed down at the end of cycle it was best to be out of the shower as the temp dropped from warm to ground water temp in about 10 seconds when the light turned off and the timer clicked off. It was set for five minutes.

Of course, some of us figured out how to make a jig that prevented the timer from turning ;)

That battery one is nice. I like that. Though batteries (or a wired-power wireless-signal) are less environmentally appealing, imo. (Unless the wireless switch only uses power at the switching moment..?)

I'll check into that. I like the solution preventing a wire.
I think they work like a garage door remote control and use a little pill battery. I know about them from when we had our kitchen redone and the electrician said that by code you need to have a light switch at every entry point and running a wire wasn’t feasible. I wouldn’t be surprised if current code is similar for having a switch at both ends of a staircase. We end up not doing it because my situation was a grey area and we knew we’d never actually use the switch where it would be placed.

But my basement is like yours and we have to decide whether to leave the light on when you’re downstairs, or walk up and down the stairs in the dark. I may do something similar to you.

Reactions: stoveliker
Look at the specs of the switch.. go to your local hardware stores website or a electrical outlets site. You can get motion sensor switches or timer switches that do not require the neutral. Most places have them but just may not be in stock at the local store and the store may have to order for you.. My last job i used them quite a bit as none of the out buildings or office had a neutral wire and i had switched everything over to a motion sensor switch... You can fine tune them so they only pick up a few feet away from the switch and they work quite well.. Think i only paid $20-$30 each for them

yes, just the stairwell.
The light switches at the bottom of the stairs for the lights in the basement have a second switch near the door to the garage (the only other exit from the basement). And yes, they still get left on every now and then ::-)

Maybe the solution is to better raise my kids ;em
Nah...don't be too hard on them! LOL At my children's grade school (grade 5), they did an environmental themed semester that included three days at a camp. They learned about 'reduce, reuse, recycle', turning off lights when not in use, don't stand with the fridge door open (one of my biggest pet peeves!) among lots of other things.... fast forward a bunch of years and my girls STILL can't shut off the lights in the basement! LOL "It might be down there!" My 'girls' are now 28 (in her own home and paying her own electric bill!) and 19...the light stays on until one of the "adults" shuts it off. ;);) (Considering it seems to be an issue with my girls, I suspect their 3 brothers may have had a bit too much 'fun' scaring them half to death when hubby and i weren't home).

• Haha
Lol, yes, that fridge. They are getting too big by now, but I've caught them standing in/on the bottom of the fridge, on their tippy toes, trying to make up their mind.
"Close the door please, sit there please, and think of what you want. Then go and open the door, and get it. (And please close the door when you have it...)"

Apparently the above is a foreign language to them...

Reactions: ispinwool
I have this in my basement. Works with LED as shown. Got it at H Depot years ago, was not more than $20. And before the LED it had a compact florescent bulb.

D94C3A54-045B-4E22-B247-78FB69B9B1BE.jpeg

Last edited:
I keep one light on in the basement, a 9 watt LED over the mechanical area. Not only do I save myself possibly tripping on the way to the light, but I can basically just open the door and do a quick check that everything’s ok. Eliminate many trips up and down the stairs. The 65 cents a month in power is worth that.

I’d be thankful that a few lights is all the kids do, and one is self sufficient and the other will likely be in time.

Most of the people I’ve dated over the last 25 years have lived in apartments or low income rentals, as there’s not much pay or options around here. It has it’s pluses, but responsible living is often not one of them, and any kids have no clue. Leave the crisper box open so the fridge won’t close. Pile up dishes so you can’t get to the faucet, lift the spout in an attempt to get a little more room instead of moving dishes and snap the spout off. Spill a pan of water into a lake on the counter and just leave it all day until I find it. Flush a deodorant stick requiring toilet removal and don’t fess up (to anything for that matter). Leave the house with the hot water running all day. Start the shower to warm it up, go play on your phone and deplete the entire tank in waste. Start the oven, let it keep beeping for 15 minutes saying it’s up to temp because you don’t feel like getting up. Bake stuff and let it burn because you don’t feel like getting up. Open the window while the heat is running. Don’t turn off the stove when the sun has come out and it’s 85 in here. One button that’s it. Walk outside and leave the door open. Burn a candle right under a shelf, set hot curling irons on the carpet. Hoard. Never clean anything until you move out.

Since I’ve finally got a good house, I took my dad’s advice and just stay alone. At least my kid learned well, she’s grown up and out.

All of you who have families who work reasonably good together to keep a household running, be thankful and have a happy holiday.

• Wow
Reactions: ispinwool
I know this is probably a long dead thread, but my immediate idea is something my dad did "to" me re light switches: He put a glass jar on the counter and said every time he finds the lamp ON, someone is going to have to own up and put a quarter in the jar.
When they won't admit who left the light ON, they'll have to chip in their portion each. They will wine about who puts in 12 cents and who puts in 13. ;-)

There are old fashioned spring-rotation ones. That's a no-go for the wife.
We have this type and the push-button types at various places around the house on lights and bath fans.
My wife is also 'discerning" but uses both types without complaint.
The mechanical types have been very reliable and are actually easier to find and operate in the dark.
Not trying to cause marital friction but maybe you should give the mechanical type a try and see if opinions change?

Did that already resulting in the current situation... 😐

Did that already resulting in the current situation... 😐
Hmm.
Did she say why?
Don't mean to be nosy but I've done work with human factors related to technology usage and am just curious.
The reasons why people do or don't like something are often fascinating.

No problem, not nosy at all.

Style. European straight lines. Modern. Minimalist. Etc.

Arguing about taste generally does not end well... Especially with a SO.

Reactions: semipro