Tip for Troy-Bilt Splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

YZF1R

Mar 3, 2009
Southeastern PA
If anyone has pushed out and stripped the bolts for the adjustable gibs I found a solution that worked for me. The stock gibs are nothing more than mild steel key-stock. All four, two on each side, are 5/8 X 5/8 key-stock each 2 inch long. I looked them up on the web and saw them for over $8.00 each.

I removed the two on the adjustable side and replaced them with 5/8 X 3/4 key-stock cut to length. This was about $10.00 for a 12 inch piece from McMaster-Carr. Perfect fit, very little slop but not tight. This is without the adjustable bolts in. If I feel it gets too loose down the road, I'll just replace the keys again. Judging by the lack of wear on the ones I took out (removed and looked at the other side also), I think they should last quite a while.

Hope this helps someone else in a similar situation.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.