Tipping wood sellers for delivery?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jdscj8

Feb 19, 2009
Eastern,Nebraska
Listening to a fella rant and rave at the co-op this morning about people this year not tipping when he delivers wood to them got me thinking, so I asked him how much he thinks he should get, he said he at least 15% of the total bill, he is charging $115 a cord for oak ash and maple mix, and $40 a cord to deliver it. I think the delivery charge should take care of everything in my opinion, i don't tip the feed delivery driver when he delivers, and i don't ever get tipped for delivering hay bales and i don't expect to, thats why i have a delivery charge. So should you tip him or not, if so how much would you think was fair? Opinions from buyers and sellers would be great. JD

I don't get this whole new everyone -is -entitled -to -a -tip crap.

Same with the christmas bonus BS.

WELL YAAAA!!!!!!!! 100% tip MMMMMMMMMM HMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!

Seriously though, In 22 years of delivering firewood I have prolly only been tipped 10 times.
If you lived in NYC the delivery guy wood have had his hand out the window before the delivery truck got stopped.
I don't believe a tip is necessary, although a nice gesture and will get you on the top of the list next year. My wood is priced accordingLEE and therefore don't expect extra.

At his prices I see why he thinks that, (115.00 a cord is very cheap delivered ) maybe he should just raise the price and forget about tips?

interchangabLEE said:
WELL YAAAA!!!!!!!! 100% tip MMMMMMMMMM HMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!

Seriously though, In 22 years of delivering firewood I have prolly only been tipped 10 times.
If you lived in NYC the delivery guy wood have had his hand out the window before the delivery truck got stopped.
I don't believe a tip is necessary, although a nice gesture and will get you on the top of the list next year. My wood is priced accordingLEE and therefore don't expect extra.

Lee - What do you recommend for tipping your woodguy? (I get 2 to 3 cords delivered each year, and last year I told him that he looked a little short....stacked it up later, and it was three cords on the button....always gives me a full load)
I was just thinking about a gift cert or something to the local mexican place?

Thats the truth about NYC.
I don't know how or if he stacks it, just that he delivers it.
He was bragging just before he started throwin a fit about getting all this wood for free. Its stuff they can't use at the mill, been damaged or something wrong with it. I mean he gets it in 3 ft sec. and dropped at his place for free, he cuts them once and splits them. He sells them that cheap to get rid of them.
Mixed hardwoods are going for about $150-200 a cord delivered so hes pretty close to the average around here after his delivery fee.
I need to get into that racket. JD

Traditionally the owner of a business is never tipped. To many (Most) it would be considered an insult. Employees of businesses are tipped when they provide excellent service.

Stephen in SoKY said:
Traditionally the owner of a business is never tipped. To many (Most) it would be considered an insult. Employees of businesses are tipped when they provide excellent service.

U can insult me all U want! I don't care! :)
Don't know what planet yur from . I have never seen a business owner turn down a tip.

If the guy did something out of the ordinary or gave really good service or maybe even included kindling at no extra cost or something like that, then perhaps a tip would be okay. Otherwise, sorry.

Stephen in SoKY said:
agreed (although I don't think they'd be insulted). I do, however, give my woodguy a little extra Christmas time (not this year, cause i didn't even use him). Sometimes, when i'm feeling that the wood I got was better in quality, or he went out of his way to get it to me quicker than normal, then i throw an extra $5 into the check (I get it by the truckload) I guess that makes it a tip, but it's nice that he doesn't want or expect it (nor should he). I consider it something to make sure i'm higher up on his client list. I want his best wood, and I want to be the guy who gets it first when there's a storm coming my way.

Nope.

Now that I posted in your thread I will be expecting a tip before Christmas. ;-P

I tip people to show appreciatiation for there work or kindness. I guy from sears came out to look at the refrigerator and when he got done he said how much do you think this is going to cost? I said between 100 - 150. He said no it's free I ran the serial number in our database and it's still under warranty from the previous owners. This guy got a decent tip. If someone is demanding a tip then that's a good reason not to give them a tip.

I certainly meant no offense. However, as an example, the next time you use your attorney ask to speak with a partner in the firm and offer him/her an extra $50. I doubt it will be accepted with much enthiusiasm.

That said, you must understand that I view the owners of a firewood business the same as a partner in a law firm. Both provide a service/product that people need. They should both provide that service honestly& to the best of their abilities.

If you feel compelled to acknowledge the efforts of a business owner, refer your friends to them. The additional business will mean a great deal more to them than an extra $20.

Stephen, Do you tip the law clerk, that works for the lawyer?

No. I have however remembered his EA at Christmas. But, it wasn't a tip at the time service was rendered. Nor is she a partner in the firm.

Extraordinary service above and beyond the normal and agreed upon business deal . . . deserves an extraordinary moment . . . a tip perhaps. However, normal transaction = no tip.

Too much tipping and too many people "expecting" a tip. You tip the wood guy if he goes well above and beyond what you expected, and you want him to remember you next time. But giving a tip for someone just doing their job, well, I don't get it.

I agree with referals, thats the only way i sell hay. When i have someone call for hay that says X person told them about me, that means i've got good product and or good service, and how many people are they going to refer,which means more money for me, which means more to me then getting a tip. I have a list of all my customers and every time i get a referal i put who refered them. I have some that have refered alot af people, so i'll thow in 10 small bales or a extra big bale when i deliver to them to show my thanks. JD

I never tipped the "oil man".......

If he's bringing you good wood and it is a full cord, I would consider a tip, especially if you are going to continue to use him. It might ensure that the wood he brings is the best they have and that he loads the truck alittle fuller then he does other customers.

I've only tipped a wood delivery once - it was a high school kid with his own business and he did me right with the quantity and quality of the wood and his price was low. I may buy from him again and I want him to remember me and treat me the same. But I would guess the majority of wood sellers are NOT tipped unless they go beyond expectations in quantity quality or even stack.

That doesn't make much sense to me, the fact that if he is advertsing a full cord and he brings a full cord, that he be tipped. If the wood guy says $xxx/cord, then that is what he is getting. It is your job to see if it s a cord and in fact seasoned or unseasoned as specified. From there, you pay accordingly. If you dont like it, find another wood guy. If he says he usually doesnt deliver or delivers that extra distance at no charge, then i could see a reason.

I'm not cheap, but I am also not handing out money in which i worked just as hard as he did for.

I'm not really sure what I am ranting about here, but I will sum it up. Include it in the price, or dont complain about it. Us consumers dont need to be guessing what it takes to get good service.

I wouldn't tip for wood delivery where I have paid a delivery charge either separately stated or implied in the price of the wood. The one place I do tip the proprietor is my barber shop. I will only let the owner cut my hair and I remember all those years growing up that tip money paid for our Christmas presents from mom the one chair beauty shop owner.

Will only tip for great service and quality!

Otherwise it is the agreed price.

EJL923 said:
That doesn't make much sense to me, the fact that if he is advertsing a full cord and he brings a full cord, that he be tipped. If the wood guy says $xxx/cord, then that is what he is getting. It is your job to see if it s a cord and in fact seasoned or unseasoned as specified. From there, you pay accordingly. If you dont like it, find another wood guy. If he says he usually doesnt deliver or delivers that extra distance at no charge, then i could see a reason.

I only mentioned that - because I felt the price , even with delivery was a great price for a cord of wood (in my area - it would be hard to get a full cord for that). If that is the market rate - then the fact that he delivers a full cord is not in itself worthy of a tip. Alittle more then a cord and outstanding quality (and maybe his price is well below market) I'd slip him alittle extra - not a BIG tip, just alittle extra. Going beyond his delivery area is also another good reason.

But I agree that he shouldn't be complaining. No one is entitled to a tip for delivering wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.