To burn tonight are not??????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AppalachianStan

Minister of Fire
Nov 4, 2011
Clover SC
Hi guy I know you like my posts. Well have read a lot of good stuff on here. So I did the test that lot you know if I need gaskets and I have leaks. I fired it up at 4:30 today on 5 splits. top out at 500* or so put 5 more split. This time keep an I on it top out at 550* House nice a warm at 77* where the stove is and 72* in the living room out side 35*.
Do you think I can put 5 more split in and go to bed or just let it die?

Thats all on your comfort level. I just installed a new Bio-mass peppermint furnace and have not let it burn through the night. As my comfort level is not high enough. It has numerous safety switches. But still nwant to watch it.

Have you burned through the night before? Gaskets are fairly cheap IMO.

DexterDay said:
Thats all on your comfort level. I just installed a new Bio-mass peppermint furnace and have not let it burn through the night. As my comfort level is not high enough. It has numerous safety switches. But still nwant to watch it.

Have you burned through the night before? Gaskets are fairly cheap IMO.

Last Dec, before the new chimney I run it all night. No the gaskets for my or going to run me $45.00 from http://www.servicesales.com/ Tractor Supply, E-bay and Northern tools dose not have all of them.

That's like asking if I really need another beer or not. :p

Do what you think is right and let how you feel in your skin/house tomorrow morning tell you if that was a good idea!

pen

I am going to let it die for to night re lite it at 6:00 in the morning and may be my wife will make me order the gaskets then. one can hope.

pen said:

pen

I do need another. Almost forgot ;-P

Its all in how comfortable you are. $45 for Gaskets!!!! Holy $hit. How many you got to replace?

DexterDay said:
pen said:

pen

Its all in how comfortable you are. $45 for Gaskets!!!! Holy $hit. How many you got to replace?

Too many gaskets!!!! 3 windows gasket, Door Gasket, ash pan Gasket and a Damper housing gasket.

AppalachianStan said:
DexterDay said:
pen said:

pen

Too many gaskets!!!! 3 windows gasket, Door Gasket, ash pan Gasket and a Damper housing gasket.

That costs about the same as running my heat for a couple days.

logger said:
AppalachianStan said:
DexterDay said:
pen said:

pen

That costs about the same as running my heat for a couple days.

Not for me. to run 3 space heaters for 3 day would costs me about the same but temps today was at 60* when I got up at 6:00. The wood stove is my primary heat.

Well Stan my house is out of sync kinda like yours, until it gets real cold I let my stove go out through the night (same thing with the old Nashua) so I go to bed with the house is at 70 degrees or so and if it gets cold and the wind switches to the south I wake up with a house in the upper 50's. I am not going to mess around with the stove in the middle of the night.

oldspark said:
Well Stan my house is out of sync kinda like yours, until it gets real cold I let my stove go out through the night (same thing with the old Nashua) so I go to bed with the house is at 70 degrees or so and if it gets cold and the wind switches to the south I wake up with a house in the upper 50's. I am not going to mess around with the stove in the middle of the night.

I do know what you mean. Last year I was getting up like every 3 hours to put wood in the stove. That is hard on a you.

I'd build a couple of big 'overnight' type fires during the day when you can watch how things go. After you can do it during the day then I'd feel better about building one and letting it burn overnight.

Wood Duck said:
I'd build a couple of big 'overnight' type fires during the day when you can watch how things go. After you can do it during the day then I'd feel better about building one and letting it burn overnight.

I guess it a newbie to this stove thing. When I bought the stove the guy had a log gate in it and it burn a lot better with it then with out E/W. I have being trying the N/S Its Ok takes some time to get up to temp about an hour. in the past I have only been able to put may 4 split with the gate.

I wouldnt be burning with a grate in that stove. That is taking up a lot of valuable space, that could be used for wood. Also using a grate is going to let air freely flow around the bottom of the wood.

So less wood and lots of air = Really short fires

I would take the grate out (if you haven't already). No need in a wood stove. Throw the wood in the coals/ashes.

DexterDay said:
I wouldnt be burning with a grate in that stove. That is taking up a lot of valuable space, that could be used for wood. Also using a grate is going to let air freely flow around the bottom of the wood.

So less wood and lots of air = Really short fires

I would take the grate out (if you haven't already). No need in a wood stove. Throw the wood in the coals/ashes.

I have taken the grate out after I find this site last month. and have been burning N/S It's working but different. May be me but it takes a hour to get wood hot enough to shut down the damper and air flow.

Status
Not open for further replies.