To Fell a Tree by Jeff Jepson

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flatbedford

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Mar 17, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
My wife gave me this book for my birthday in July. I have read it cover to cover several times. I highly recommend it to all of you novice or pro. He has tons of information and advice on tree cutting, and chain saw operation. Even you know-it-alls might learn something. It's well written with good illustrations as well.
14600037.jpg

Yep thats a must have book

Notice he chose the term "fell" and not "fall" in the title. Did he cover both of those two terms in the book?

One fells a tree and yes, it makes a sound versus one falling when there is nobody there and perhaps it doesn't make a sound. A guy that runs a machine called a feller is sometimes called a feller too.

He must be a Fart Smeller...er, uh, I mean a Smart Feller. :p Rick

Looks like a real page turner; a perfect book for a wood geek. I'll have to check it out!

yeahhhh...I read a book once.

Ideally any reading material for wood burners should be printed on newsprint type paper so it will have dual use.

I'm still hoping for a few excerpts from the book. 8-/

Hmm...looks like a good read .

Why does the tree on the cover not look like it was notched? I would think that was the first thing he would teach.

golfandwoodnut said:
Why does the tree on the cover not look like it was notched? I would think that was the first thing he would teach.

Troublemaker! :)

I think it is. If I look closely, I think I see the remains of the hinge on the stump. the notch is on the underside of the fallen tree.

Yes he goes into great detail on the open face notch.

golfandwoodnut said:

thats a perfect drop the notch is on the underside of the trunk but that is as stright of a cut that I have seen

smokinjay said:
thats a perfect drop the notch is on the underside of the trunk but that is as stright of a cut that I have seen
I was taught to take the notch out of the stump, not out of the market wood. I was also taught to leave less stump than that.

Looks like an excellent read!
Always cut your stumps at the END of the day, that way it dosnt matter if the chain is dull or not, your done doing the real work with the saw and can change the chain back at the barn!

I leave my stumps 20" - 22" tall so I can lop em off at the end and have one more piece of firewood. Then the final stump is just about flush with the ground as to not be in the way of the ATVs, Tractor, or skidding logs.

I do the same thing - leave the last piece or two of firewood as a stump. When I am felling a tree, I would rather cut a little higher off the ground because it seems a little easier to stay alert and keep an eye on the tree if I am cutting knee high or even higher. Once the tree is on the ground I can cut the stump without worriying a tree is going to fall on me.

LLigetfa said:
Notice he chose the term "fell" and not "fall" in the title. Did he cover both of those two terms in the book?

One fells a tree and yes, it makes a sound versus one falling when there is nobody there and perhaps it doesn't make a sound. A guy that runs a machine called a feller is sometimes called a feller too.

...and one feller-buncher will do the work of one bunch of fellers...

just got this book yesterday very detailed even if your good at felling or not...

Status
Not open for further replies.