To tarp or not to tarp an 8 ’ length pile

Status
Not open for further replies.

tinsley207

Nov 5, 2008
South Windham, Maine
I've just taken delivery of 4 cord red oak in 8 foot lengths. It's in a large pile and I won't get to processing it until the spring. My question is do I cover this pile with a large tarp or do I just let it winter over uncovered? Thanks.

It won't really make a difference if it's in log lengths during the winter, except that if you get a hankering to cut some up, it would be nice to not have snow on it now.

I would definitely not go buy tarps for it.

Jags

Moderate Moderator
Staff member
Aug 2, 2006
Northern IL
And get it off the ground if possible. If off of the ground and you don't plan on working it up till spring, forget the tarps. You will just be chasing them around the yard after the first big winter blow.

ansehnlich1

Retired Hearth.com Member
Dec 5, 2006
Adams County, PA
no way, this ole' boy would NOT be tarpin' that pile.

unless, as mentioned, I wanted to get at it to do some sawin'.

otherwise, ain't no rain or snow gonna hurt it.

LLigetfa

Minister of Fire
Nov 9, 2008
NW Ontario
Why wait for Spring? Do it now!

smokinj

Minister of Fire
Aug 11, 2008
Anderson, Indiana
ansehnlich1 said:
no way, this ole' boy would NOT be tarpin' that pile.

unless, as mentioned, I wanted to get at it to do some sawin'.

otherwise, ain't no rain or snow gonna hurt it.
Same here

Jeff S

Feeling the Heat
Aug 31, 2008
Kimball,Michigan
I don't believe I would bother tarping it,but I would also have a hard time resisting till spring also.

ansehnlich1

Retired Hearth.com Member
Dec 5, 2006
Adams County, PA
Jeff S said:
I don't believe I would bother tarping it,but I would also have a hard time resisting till spring also.
Oh yeah! I get what your sayin'

I'd be out there even if it were just a wee bit of daylight left in the evening, yellin' to the wife... "just cuttin' one more round honey, be in in a minute"!

Sophie

Aug 9, 2008
NH
I have the same question - does wood dry better covered with a tarp or exposed to the weather?

This is wood that was cut and split this past summer to be burned next winter.

Thanks.

LLigetfa

Minister of Fire
Nov 9, 2008
NW Ontario
8 foot logs in the round with bark on it are not going to dry, tarped or not. Save the tarp for the splits.

Gooserider

Mod Emeritus
Nov 20, 2006
Northeastern MA (near Lowell)
If you need it to dry, cut it to length, and get it off the ground. Splitting is less critical. Tarping won't make a big difference if in log length, top covering might help if stove length, but not a lot. Get it processed quickly come spring if it isn't off the ground, or you will start to get rot in the bottom logs.

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.