Today's Scrounge--post the free btu's

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I have been in Florida for the week, so no scrounging, but came back to a text about a giant maple coming down next to my friends house...

41a2f4d3848c060040c2b49b08e39127.jpg

fcb3de9a32ed15ab2d7c7dad04b051df.jpg

Got 2 truckloads of maple from Craigslist today!

Attachments

• IMG_0193.JPG
    IMG_0193.JPG
    59.6 KB · Views: 164
Ugh I'm overdue for a good scrounge. CL has been a bit slow lately. I still have probably half a cord of ash to split, but with the warmer days we've had lately I've been in fishing mode and day dreaming about getting the boat back in. I have fallen in love with burning this year since getting the stove and even before that, building up the wood supply, but these spring like days help me realize the transitioning period is just about upon us. I have figured out that here in upstate NY you absolutely need a hobby for every season, as it helps you look forward to whatever is coming up next.

Reactions: Rangerbait
Ugh I'm overdue for a good scrounge. CL has been a bit slow lately. I still have probably half a cord of ash to split, but with the warmer days we've had lately I've been in fishing mode and day dreaming about getting the boat back in. I have fallen in love with burning this year since getting the stove and even before that, building up the wood supply, but these spring like days help me realize the transitioning period is just about upon us. I have figured out that here in upstate NY you absolutely need a hobby for every season, as it helps you look forward to whatever is coming up next.
I live here too....totally agree! No use sitting around complaining about the weather!

Reactions: Woody5506
Interesting scrounge today.
GOTTA be a God thing.
The bankroll is stoopid low as we're pulling slowly upwards outta debt but I sold the KLR to pay some bills
and pick up a Cheapo used replacement m/c. The craigslist ad said $1650 for a 1998 Suzuki so I went for it
after talking with the guy on the phone. First story, last month sold our ladder to the pawn shoppe for gas money and I finds this on the side of the highway going to pick up the scooter.
rocket scooter 015.JPG Go figure. Sold our 6 foot fiberglass and aluminum ladder and this was by the road.
Free replacement= free gas for me n' mama to do our necessaries.
Then I get into the center of Chicago to pick up the bike and there's wood everywhere and the city posted "Free firewood" signs on all of it.
Inner cities don't have many stovers in all those apartment complexes and housing projects.
Then, I see the scooter. Holy crap!!!!!!!!!!!!
rocket scooter 011.JPG rocket scooter 005.JPG rocket scooter 003.JPG
Yes, you are reading the odometer correctly. For the price of a moped I gotta GSXR with less than 8k on the clock.
It's older, from the 90's, but so what? Two years later the name was changed to the Hyabusa. Naturally after
onloading the bike, stuffed as much wood as I could carry while working my way back to Interstate 94.
Paid some bills, got some free wood, a nearly new motorcycle, and a replacement ladder!
Strange day indeed!

Crazy wind storm today, highest recorded winds in the past 75 years. Trees down everywhere, all schools closed tomorrow (not work though...) and roads closed all over the place due to trees and power lines down. It's not a scrounge at this point but it's still free!

Cleared what I could of this maple today after work...

20170308_175128.jpg

Post #231:

Curious - did you not ask about the miles before driving to Chicago? If money is tight (the good lord knows I have been there), then why not just sell the old bike and keep the funds?
Nice score on the ladder. No idea why someone would just throw that out.

I have to say a gixxer is definitely going to be a good mid-life bike. I am riding a Victory Vision which is an old man's bike. This old man's bike.

Reactions: CheapBassTurd
Got another load of black locust with the kids this evening. Thy sure are good helpers. Looking forward to this in a few years too.
IMG_20170313_194928481.jpg

Hmm I'm another biker and a scrounger.....'93 Honda shadow....

Reactions: CheapBassTurd
Whoops.
Deleted the wrong message.
DelDude,
If it wuz THAT tight I'd sell the bike for funding indeed. Landed a job at Federal Mogul
and the new cash flow rocks, but we had immediate stuff to tend to so I generated a quick
grand selling the KLR and snatching up the Katana with a quickness. Yes I knew the miles and
had seen a frontal pic in the ad. I was figuring it wouldn't start in person, or had the sides wiped
from some young dude pushing it in a curve. I was making the story more interesting reading for the
internet while still stating the truth. I told the guy to take down his ad and I'd be there asap. He runs
a car shop and a guy gave the bike as payment for a head gasket job, and shop guy was selling for the
same price as the repair bill. I was all over that like maple syrup. lol Lifelong biker from a KE 100 at 12
years old as a learner and have always had a bike, period. 2 HD's, a Goldwing, Nighthawk, CB 750,
KLR 650, DR 650, XL 600 R, and now the GSXR as a fine midlife crisis bike. I'm one of those fools who
rides year 'round, albeit less in winter but always have run snow tires/ semi knobbies on all my bikes. lol

Hey, those Victories and Shadows have some killer bucket seats. All day comfort for us old fellas.

Reactions: baseroom
Another 2 truck loads from a tree guy. I can barely keep the ground clear for them too dump but at least i didnt have to get it.

View attachment 196171
View attachment 196172

Gotta love it when free wood gets dumped in your yard.. i got the same problem. I have a friend who ownes a trees service. He has bee trying to drop off 3 dump truck loads of oak and cherry for 3 weeks now. Last year i came home from a scrounging and he had filled part of my driveway while i was out. To answer your question from earlier. .. even though its droped in your driveway ...its considered a scrounge because you did not pay for it and you still had to split and stack

Tell me more about how you guys get the tree dudes to drop rounds off in your yard...that sounds way too easy! [emoji2]
I found a few tree guys from craigslist. They will post that they will take your name and number and call when working in the area or they will post that they are going to be cutting the next day. Also just making connections such as my neighbor works at a pizza place across the street from a guy and he connected us as well as himself as we both burn wood. I think that where I am located(Long Island, NY), there is less of a demand for wood then where you may be located. The tree guys have to pay to dump the wood if they can't find someone to take it.

I found a few tree guys from craigslist. They will post that they will take your name and number and call when working in the area or they will post that they are going to be cutting the next day. Also just making connections such as my neighbor works at a pizza place across the street from a guy and he connected us as well as himself as we both burn wood. I think that where I am located(Long Island, NY), there is less of a demand for wood then where you may be located. The tree guys have to pay to dump the wood if they can't find someone to take it.
The demand factor is definitely real...all of the CL postings I see are from closer in to the DC area; free wood around here gets snapped up pretty quickly by the hillbillys! :)

Another pickup load from Craiglist. The post said it was oak, but there were two different trees in the pile.
1:
56dc4a8f23806fd66d47206b04323b34.jpg

120d90c29d2143c2827ae6baccc5185b.jpg

2:
78d3c23cb58c5e5032473b84abc504f4.jpg

84bcc3d0648919491b67de3592269858.jpg

Tons more for the scrounging too!

16af97c33dd53dabed5845729c1fd1d6.jpg

Natural Causes . . .

First two pics look to me like elm.

Third and fourth pic remind me a bit of black locust . . . but I am not as confident in that guess. As I have said many a time, I am much better at tree ID with leafs.

I went scrounging in the backyard yesterday. we had a few trees blow into the creek in a big wind event. It was nice to be able to get back there with the freshly sharpened saw and do some clean up....

Its knotty elm, but that's ok. Since I helped the neighbor cut it up, I am going to get the bigger pieces. We have a nice arrangement. I get their good stuff, they get the uglies :)

I am sure in high demand areas that the tree guys get paid for their loads.
All one needs to do is call local tree experts. That's how I get mine. They let me know when there's a job in the area and I come by with the trailer. They even load it for me lol

They charge to remove the trees once they cut. If they can't find a taker, they have to haul it to the landfill and pay to dump it. It behooves them to give it for free.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: ThunderMedic