Today's task help Hot Flame get his stove up and running

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

elkimmeg

If all goes well Hot Flame will be joining the burning fraternity today.
The biggest stumbling block is cutting out the damper.
About to load my truck now 4.5" grinder with 1/16" metal cutting wheel
If that does not work the the oxy acc Torch Hopefully not needed
Sheet metal snips right and left ones Cordless drill. Crimping tool,
Fire-block caulk sealant 2000 degree rating. Drill bits metal and masonry
2.5 Lb sledge hammer pry bars. protective face shield leather gloves cutting goggles
ear protection leather work gloves fire extinguisher ( torch protection)
sawzall and lots of hand tools that normally are assembled in the tool carrying containers.

hopefully that will be enough to complete the job see you in a while Hot Flame

...and don't forget the champagne!

I figured by now Hot Flame would have chimed in nice a warm, boy did it get cold fast.
Then again he has the perfect excuse the first warn romantic fire. Not as easy As I thought but we stuck with it.
till we got is resolved. The rest of the goings on are for Hot Flame to divulge. Like he said we should have video taped the install

Yep - much thanks to Elk I am now in a warm 72 degree room. Stove works great, draft is just awesome. Easily 5 degree above thermostat - boiler hasn't cut in once since afternoon. 22 degrees outside! What a great feeling this is!

Thank you so much Elk. No way I was getting that damper cut out otherwise. Btw, torch not needed - right tool was grinder with cutoff wheel. Total time to install was about 3 hours. Thr right tools really help
getting the work done quick.

Full liner is the way to go guys. No draft issues at all, break in or otherwise. Plus, the answer is a awesome stove, there is nice hot air coming out the top and I am not using the optional blower. Don't think I will need it if it heats this good.

The outside of the lopi firebox is cool enough you can put your hand on for a few seconds. The glass gets hot, and the baffle is nice and hot. The convection stove is the way to go for insert.

Still trying to figure out how to resize pics to post. I'll have them up in a second.

So at 8pm I have a full load going - still burning hot. Thermometer in room now reads 75, thermostat in house at 69. Boiler hasn't kicked on.
I am going to like this one. Next project is to use a box fan to circulate air around house and see how it works. This is going to be fun when the town
inspector shows up and wants to know why I have been burning before the inspection - and then I explain that an inspector helped install the thing!

As far as Lopi answer - i think this is a awesome stove.

Congrats HotFlame,
Welcome to the wonderful world of burning wood. Feels great huh?

I like it. My motivation for going to a woodburning stove was mainly a strong feeling that I should do my part to burn less fossil fuel and switch to a more renewable source. Plus, I like the idea of energy independence you can get from wood, and the security of knowing you are not going to freeze when the power goes out. I feel I have more than accomplished those objectives, although there is certainly a lot more I can do.

Bonus - I got to meet Elk - who is just a super nice fella!

Hot Flame did try a sawzall and got a little piece of the damper out. To our chagrin this was not a cheap a** one. but goog quality and much thicker. I was limited as to how much I could cut out. The flange was holding up a backer course of bricks and a couple of them were loose. I had to leave enough to prevent the bricks from falling out. If I could have cut out 3" more to the front, the installation would have gone a lot easier. . Fortunately we had about 4" above the stove and could get our hands in to manouver the liner pipe. I realized right away that the metal block off plate would have to go in first. There would be no room to get there with the stove in the way and no room to fasten it or caulk it . We fastened it drilling into the cast iron but wore out a colbalt bit after two holes. the 4 or 5 other fasteners were tapcons into the brick. The caulk I used Firestop 136 standard rated to 2000 degrees. Unfortunately the hole and final position did not match I did not want to take the block off plate off again so with the
cutoff grinder, I cut it again. Mean while pulling the stove in an out trial fitting it. We also tried the low profile slide adapter but the offset was too much it would not work. Boy would that made it easier. The next fit we still need it to come forward about 1" more so close. This time the damper plate needed to be cut about 3/8" the stove was in position. I cut the hole using a dremell and metal cutting wheel, the only thing I could use and get it in there. At this point the hole is much larger but I knew this would be the case. I cut a 12/12" square and cut the eblong hole to match the angle position and fastened it up with a few more sheet metal screws caulked the small space just about as tight as possible and neat looking. I missed a step Hot Flame had factored cermic wool insulation that he put on th damper plate before we installed it. In the end we installed one 45 degree stainless steel elbow to the stove collar for our final fitting. One nice bead of caulk around collar and the stove is all set positioned where Hot Flame wanted it. Originally I planned it would take 1.5 hours work. Trial and error positioning, no kinked liner, 4 hours later, time to get the fire wood. I must say Hot Flame and his wife are really nice people a joy to have met

I love a story with a happy ending. Enjoy hotflame!

Score a big one for the forum. Good on you both.

damn
if only I had elk help me with my install I would'nt have had to pull the beast in and out the the hole five times to get the flue lined up.

Congrats Hotflame For an excelent energy descision

It is always harder than it appears. The liner does bend some, but not very drastically. I ordered both the elbow offset adapter and a 45 degree elbow to try and make it fit, Regardless, things wouldn't cme in at the right angle. Fortunately, my stove isn't so heavy! The position was important since for a convection stove the front part needs to protrude in the room. If we could position it further back, it would have bben a easier install.

Anyways, if anybody nearby me needs help getting their stove installed I will be glad to come out and help. I got help installing mine, and the least I can do is help other folks on this site get theirs in. Bear in mind that my skills in this area are limited to having installed exactly one stove (mine), but heck, I can at least help move the stove!

I think it's really great that Forum members help each other out, even to the point of showing up at someone's door with the right tools and knowledge.

If anyone is anywhere near Utica, NY and needs a hand with something (heavy lifting) just PM me and I'll help out if I can.

Ok I knew the situation Hot flame got severely jerked around by his retailer . He waited patiently for a stove to arrive,
which the retailer used the floor model, that he sold to Hot Flame. At times I wanted to reach threw the monitor and shake
the crap out of his retailer. It was only when he asked for his deposit back he finally got his stove. I had another incentive,
Hot flame helped me threw the situation while being banned. I admit I got pig headed. And thanks for all the members support.
I knew he live about 4 towns away and needed help, so it was do able. I also thought I owed pay back to the community, that supported me. Actions speak louder than words. A lot of people here go out of their way to help others, that is the theme of this forum. Craig Got your ears on, I purpose Hearth net plan a get together centrally located that would include the most members.
For one day we could meet those who have taken the time to help the many others. A yearly convention where we chip in to make it happen. I know I would love to meet so many Dylan josh Corie, Eric Bring your chain saws A cutting contest( who can cut the best with the cheapest saw) I would be on my best behavior and not be argumentative. Craig a history of how you formed Hearth net from the beginings in the mid 90's dealer and industry correspondences

Status
Not open for further replies.