Told Gas Insert would be too hot in our fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MadcityJack

Sep 8, 2022
Madison, WI
Hi,
I’m new here and would really appreciate your insights. My wife and I are now seniors and we are tired of managing our wood fireplace (hauling wood inside, keeping the wood area clean, removing ashes/debris, vacuuming, etc.). And, the particulate from wood burning is getting harder to deal with even with room air filters. Yet, we love the warmth and ambience of a fire. We are thinking of gas.

More details: We have a large, wood burning, field stone fireplace with a relative large box (40“ front, horizontal, x 36” rear, horizontal, with 22” depth) for the very small room it is in (under 225 sf, height about 7’6”). We didn’t build the house, but love the neighborhood. The small room opens up to a hallway and 8 steps leading upstairs to a great room. This opening is about 7’ across.

We wanted to install a vented gas insert, but the estimator who visited our home said with a 30” burner it would heat the room to an uncomfortable 80-85 degrees, even if set at the lowest flame, 50%. So, he recommended using gas logs but I don’t like the idea of having a permanent opening on the flue from an energy perspective; I do recognize it is critically important to vent carbon monoxide. We have an efficient, whole house furnace, so warmth is not our primary concern. Rather, we want ease and ambience—truly a first world problem.

So, two questions: 1) Are you aware of a 30” vented, sealed insert model that throws out less heat? Something that would create ambiance. Would a fan help with adequately moving heat from the room? 2) Alternatively, What strategies might be used with gas logs to minimize heat loss thru the flue? A pilot free burner coupled with a glass door?

Thank you for any comments bearing on a solution,

MadCityJack

41912536-8877-4FCD-A79E-10AB42E67CEA.jpeg 984B25E5-4F20-4742-B3B9-28C303005C29.jpeg

Hi,
I’m new here and would really appreciate your insights. My wife and I are now seniors and we are tired of managing our wood fireplace (hauling wood inside, keeping the wood area clean, removing ashes/debris, vacuuming, etc.). And, the particulate from wood burning is getting harder to deal with even with room air filters. Yet, we love the warmth and ambience of a fire. We are thinking of gas.

More details: We have a large, wood burning, field stone fireplace with a relative large box (40“ front, horizontal, x 36” rear, horizontal, with 22” depth) for the very small room it is in (under 225 sf, height about 7’6”). We didn’t build the house, but love the neighborhood. The small room opens up to a hallway and 8 steps leading upstairs to a great room. This opening is about 7’ across.

We wanted to install a vented gas insert, but the estimator who visited our home said with a 30” burner it would heat the room to an uncomfortable 80-85 degrees, even if set at the lowest flame, 50%. So, he recommended using gas logs but I don’t like the idea of having a permanent opening on the flue from an energy perspective; I do recognize it is critically important to vent carbon monoxide. We have an efficient, whole house furnace, so warmth is not our primary concern. Rather, we want ease and ambience—truly a first world problem.

So, two questions: 1) Are you aware of a 30” vented, sealed insert model that throws out less heat? Something that would create ambiance. Would a fan help with adequately moving heat from the room? 2) Alternatively, What strategies might be used with gas logs to minimize heat loss thru the flue? A pilot free burner coupled with a glass door?

Thank you for any comments bearing on a solution,

MadCityJack

View attachment 298812 View attachment 298813
HeatnGlo has three or four options for 30" gas inserts and they are all around 20,000 BTU's on the low end. There is also a 25" model.
I don't think that this would be too much heat for that space. A blower on the unit would help move the heat and you could always use a floor fan to move more of the heated air towards the doorway opening.
Gas log sets are always an option but the inefficiency of the open flue, and attendant heat loss is a big consideration.

HeatnGlo has three or four options for 30" gas inserts and they are all around 20,000 BTU's on the low end. There is also a 25" model.
I don't think that this would be too much heat for that space. A blower on the unit would help move the heat and you could always use a floor fan to move more of the heated air towards the doorway opening.
Gas log sets are always an option but the inefficiency of the open flue, and attendant heat loss is a big consideration.
Thank you for your suggestions! I will explore HeatnGlo options. The estimator that told me his gas insert would be too hot was considering a 30” enviro and recommended a Realfyre gas log set (G45 burner). They wanted $1000.00 for the gas burner install, which almost seems a 2 h DIY job!