Too hot?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ChadMc

Burning Hunk
Dec 12, 2019
Bucks County PA
I feel I have my regency epa stove pretty dialed in. Last night did a normal load. Packed it tight, let it get to operating temps then cut the air back. Normally the secondaries kick and it cruises around 600 (I have a ventis thermo on the stove top) for hours before Slowy cruising to that 400 coaling stage. Last night all the same but came down about an hour later for something and the secondaries were going crazy and the temp was 800 and the air was shut down. Not sure what made that load take off like that with it shut down for the night. Any thoughts? Door gasket seems to be ok.

Any chance you had left the door latch a tad loose on start up? Maybe missed your marks on the primary air turn down timing a bit? Next cool down check your door and glass gasket for reassurance. Couldn't hurt.

I've seen some adjustments this year to what I experienced last year, which was my first 1/2 season with the EPA stove. Last year my wood was only so-so seasoned. I had to take stt up to 450 to get the secondaries to stay firing, cut the air slowly, then it would run up to 650-750 before settling in. Wouldn't stay firing if I started cutting air at 400. This year with better seasoned wood I start cutting the air at 350-400 stt, peak at 600-650, settles in at 500-550, stays there longer and better coals in the morning.

Yep, this happens from time to time. No worries, so long as the gaskets are all good. Maybe this load was particularly dry, lots of smaller splits, the coals at the bottom were still extra hot, and lit it off all at once, or as someone else said, you just should have started shutting down sooner. But its fine, I don't think 800 is a problem at all, although I'd not make it a regular practice.

I've been shoving most of my red embers to one side of the stove, which helps prevent the whole load taking off at once.

All that said, you are smart to worry when things start to get hot. Makes you a safer burner.

I just had this happen this morning with a reload on some coals. After the fire was going good I shut the air down to the normal air control position, maybe about 90% of full travel. All looked good, the flue temp settled in around 650º. Then, about 30 minutes later I heard the high temp alarm go off (900º flue temp) and saw a boiling hot fire. I closed the air all the way and it settled down pretty quickly. What happened was that there were splits that hadn't yet started outgassing when I turned the air down the first time. As they heated up and started to ignite there was a second bloom of wood gases that took off. It was a little dramatic, but it's back cruising with a 620º flue temp now and a 675º stove top.

Reactions: Sailrmike
I’ve found with my new Regency it takes a conscious effort to shut the door to full closed position. I have started shutting air down sooner on this stove. The stove seems to “breathe easy”, so shutting air down sooner may help.

I’ve found with my new Regency it takes a conscious effort to shut the door to full closed position. I have started shutting air down sooner on this stove. The stove seems to “breathe easy”, so shutting air down sooner may help.
Time to add that new baby to the signature line.

I've seen some adjustments this year to what I experienced last year, which was my first 1/2 season with the EPA stove. Last year my wood was only so-so seasoned. I had to take stt up to 450 to get the secondaries to stay firing, cut the air slowly, then it would run up to 650-750 before settling in. Wouldn't stay firing if I started cutting air at 400. This year with better seasoned wood I start cutting the air at 350-400 stt, peak at 600-650, settles in at 500-550, stays there longer and better coals in the morning.
Very similar experience as you. Last winter was out first with the epa stove and have crap wood. I have good seasoned stuff going in this year and totally changed the way I can shut it down. I’d think I just waited a bit too long and had some really dry stuff in there.