Too kiln or not to kiln

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Indianawood

Nov 28, 2019
Northern Indiana
This is going to be my stack that I burn next winter. It will be almost exclusively bitternut hickory and beech. It will be stacked by march and top covered. Will receive at least 6hrs of Northern Indiana sun. North/south which we get a lot of South wind in summer. Do i need to bother making a kiln for this?
Both woods seem to be quick to season

007DE822-DFC7-416E-B07F-B925B8ECE311.jpeg

It sounds pretty simple to do, and with that thought, I'm not sure why you wouldn't? For under 100$ you will have a way better chance of having great wood. Almost like a insurance plan . If you said that pile of wood was going to sit for 2 years, then thats much more debatable.

Reactions: Indianawood
It sounds pretty simple to do, and with that thought, I'm not sure why you wouldn't? For under 100$ you will have a way better chance of having great wood. Almost like a insurance plan . If you said that pile of wood was going to sit for 2 years, then thats much more debatable.
A 100 ($100)reasons, time, etc. Seems like it could be unnecessary work. Most charts i look at say 12 months for hickory and beech

It looks like you have some gigantic splits in that stack. I’m no expert but I would think the hickory split that big would not be ready by fall if you only air dry.

Reactions: Indianawood