Too pretty for firewood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

sweedish

Feeling the Heat
Feb 6, 2019
Michigan
A8DEE2C4-A6B9-4172-8157-E3B9EBEA24A0.jpeg

My dad bought a load of firewood. I took a split of it and hand planed it smooth on a side. Spaulted maple. Wish it was still on log form.

That is nice, still might be able to make something out of a couple splits.

What a waste but it happens.

Reactions: sloeffle
Fungus

I had 2 very large bigleaf maples cut down. A custom guitar maker bought a few blocks off it and taught me a little about finding figure. I cut a few slabs off for projects but still find a lot of wood in my stacks with beautiful figure.

That looks like a gremlin lying on the beach, with the tide coming in, and the hands of another, larger gremlin about to grab him..but I could be wrong. ;lol

Last edited:
I dropped a damaged maple in the yard once. I bucked it up and then started splitting it and discovered major curl. Turns out it was a curly maple. Some of the nicest figure I had seen in awhile. Really nice looking firewood. The only good thing was it was "twin" to another maple that is still standing. The bark got hit by a plow and I can see evidence of curl on the remaining one so that one is going to be treated carefully.

See if you can make some things with it on the lathe. Would make a cool looking bowl, bottle opener handle, etc......

I found some nice looking spalted oak in the wood pile before and made some boxes out of it. Just couldn't burn it. Glad I didn't

Attachments

• 20170205_173158_001.jpg
    20170205_173158_001.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 188
Call me crazy, but I do not like the look of spalting.

Reactions: Stinkpickle
Call me crazy, but I do not like the look of spalting.
I agree. I was recently in a guitar shop with my son looking at guitars. There was a spalted maple or ash guitar, looked like firewood to me.

View attachment 253578
My dad bought a load of firewood. I took a split of it and hand planed it smooth on a side. Spaulted maple. Wish it was still on log form.
I just found some of this last night, I wasn't going to use it but the wife wanted to make some x-mas ornaments out of it. Happy it didn't all end up in the fire place although the heat isn't wasted.

That looks like a gremlin lying on the beach, with the tide coming in, and the hands of another, larger gremlin about to grab him..but I could be wrong. ;lol
[/
or on the devils lettuce

Last edited:
Reactions: Woody Stover