Top covered the stacks today...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KaptJaq

Minister of Fire
Jan 31, 2011
Long Island, NY
It has been very dry around here all summer, the plants and grass are fried. . The leaves are starting to come down early due to the lack of moisture. They finally are forecasting rain over the next two days, some of it very heavy. I decided to top cover the stacks to take advantage of the dry spell and to keep the leaves out of the gaps between stacks. I stack in a large block. 20" splits, 6 to 7 feet high, 10 or 12 feet long and about 15 rows in a block with about 6 to 8 inches between rows. One large tarp covers each block. The centers of the blocks are higher than the edges so the rain and snow slide off.

Before I covered I checked a few splits. Two year oak averaged about 22%, one year closer to 27%. The three year stuff, this season's fuel, were all under 20%. My stacks are in the sun at the top of a gully and are hit with the prevailing winds broadside... The gully funnels the winds into the stacks.

KaptJaq

Last edited:
Sounds like you are ready to go, Kapt! I covered my stacks around a month ago, right before we were hit with a solid week of rain. I use recycled rubber roofing (EPDM) for my top-covering which, being black, seemed to help the temps climb in the stacks. Maybe that helped a little, but my 3-year wood is already set to to, so I'm good either way. Now, I want some cooler weather. I'm getting antsy to fire up the stoves!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Great time to cover it up while it's good & dry.
Weather change due .

I bet the covered stacks would make a great picture ;)

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
I bet the covered stacks would make a great picture ;)

Yeah, I know, "Pictures or it never happened..."

(Click on image for larger size)

Img_7989a.jpg Img_7990a.jpg Img_7991a.jpg Img_7992a.jpg

There is one more block of stacks that is not yet covered, hope I'll finish before the rain.

There are still a couple of piles of rounds that need splitting but I don't split 'till it cools off a little...

KaptJaq

Kapt: Is that the wood you'll burn this winter?
I ask because I moved a couple cords onto the driveway this year (to make way for a possible truck) and I tried top covering, with some down the ends and a little on the sides, and putting a bunch of staples in it. I figure your tiedown method and my way would both allow the snow to be brushed off without pushing off any splits acting as weights. Here's hoping the staples hold.

You can also use sandbags for weights to hold the tiedowns. Even gallon milk jugs filled with sand can work nicely.

with some down the ends and a little on the sides, and putting a bunch of staples in it.

I like tying it down with the cords. It makes it easy to take off the tarp without ripping it and I can pick a split near the bottom with a lot of weight on it for the nail.

You can also use sandbags for weights to hold the tiedowns. Even gallon milk jugs filled with sand can work nicely.

With the tarps as big as the ones I use I've seen them catch wind and flip water filled gallon jugs across the yard. Yes I know this from experience. You should see the damage 8 pounds of ice can do....

KaptJaq

Kapt: Is that the wood you'll burn this winter?

Under the deck is about 600 CF of wood that has been there for almost 3 years. That is this season's primary wood. It is red oak. It looks fresh split on the side in the photo because that side is protected from the weather by the deck. The other side that faces the weather and sun has grayed nicely. :) Checked a few splits and the were all under 20%.

KaptJaq

Last edited:
Mine stay covered ;)

Nice stacks you got there, Kapt. Those the heavy duty brown tarps with the silver underside? If they are, it is a great tarp.

Status
Not open for further replies.