Top Mount Damper Wood Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

iammarrk

Dec 3, 2022
CT
I have a wood stove in the basement which has backdraft issues when not in use. It shares a chimney with an upstairs fireplace. Behind the wood stove are two ash cleanouts, one for the upstairs fireplace and one for the stove. The cleanout door is about 4ft below where the stovepipe enters the wall/chimney. So my question is, can I install a top-mount damper and run the chain down to the ash cleanout? I can then open/close the damper through the ash cleanout door and solve my backdraft issues when the stove is not in use?

Guess I don’t see why not. If there is a stainless liner in the flue it should have a t cap on the bottom of the t that would prevent this from being possible. If the chimney in good condition you might be able to do it. There won’t be much room to operate it though.