Torch it or sell it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

SolarAndWood

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 3, 2008
Syracuse NY
So I did the unthinkable and bought a house with a NG line run to it with a new ultra high efficiency furnace going in next Tuesday. The house has a prefab double sided wood burning fireplace that I would prefer to not mess with at least for now. At my current house, I have one of my nicest stashes yet and am trying to decide if I should sell it and buy a set of gas logs for the fireplace or enjoy the fruits of my labor but know that the vast majority of the heat is going straight up the pipe. There is also an acre and a half of woods on the property so more than likely I have enough wood to last until the end of time for ceremonial burns. What would you do?

Attachments

• output.jpg
    output.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 201
  • output (1).jpg
    output (1).jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 199
  • 20180908_093618.jpg
    20180908_093618.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 197
  • output (2).jpg
    output (2).jpg
    216.5 KB · Views: 193
That would be a non-trivial project...

I wouldn’t buy gas logs to convert to a gas open fireplace they provide NO heat. And look fake.

I’d burn wood in the open fireplace. Sure your heat goes up the chimney but atleast the fire is real and you can hear it pop Snapple and pop. Way better than gas logs.

Reactions: SolarAndWood
Most of these see through Fireplaces lose smoke into the house. Very few people I’ve came in contact with are happy with it for that reason.
Also, you should not be burning it with the doors shut. It starves the fire of oxygen and will bust that glass. It’s just tempered glass, not ceramic like your stove.

Last edited:
Is that a vote for sell it (the wood that is)?

Personally I like a gas log for occasional use if its natural gas. Sell the wood and buy a gas logs set with a remote control, sit back and relax. Install a woodstove in another part of the house if you have the desire.

gotcha...thx. And yes it will be the ceremonial flame with absolutely no illusion of being a heater.