Jan Pijpelink Posted By Jan Pijpelink, May 27, 2018 at 1:54 AM

1. Jan Pijpelink

Jan Pijpelink
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 2, 2015
    Loc:
    Lindenwold, NJ
    The PVB of our sprinkler system is leaking water like a geyser. It's an older system. Is this just a gasket or something or should I replace it?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Ashful

Ashful
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Mar 7, 2012
    Loc:
    Philadelphia
    I just replaced mine, when it went bad. It’s exposed to the sun and weather, and by the time the innards went, the plastic lid was baked and the valve handles were rusting off. It was just easier to replace, and have a fully functioning rig, than rebuild.

There is a specific start up procedure that, if not followed, may lead folks to believe theirs is broken when it’s actually fine. I assume you know the procedure?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Jan Pijpelink

Jan Pijpelink
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 2, 2015
    Loc:
    Lindenwold, NJ
    Educate me.

4. Ashful

Ashful
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Mar 7, 2012
    Loc:
    Philadelphia
    cb2904818e6014bad9702fadd1261004.jpg

5. Ashful

Ashful
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Mar 7, 2012
    Loc:
    Philadelphia
    See card that comes attached to the valve (photo above). Also, when shutting off for the winter, blow it out with air compressor, then leave both valves turned to 45 degrees. This will prevent any water trapped in the valves from cracking them.

6. Jan Pijpelink

Jan Pijpelink
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 2, 2015
    Loc:
    Lindenwold, NJ
  7. Jan Pijpelink

Jan Pijpelink
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 2, 2015
    Loc:
    Lindenwold, NJ
    I always blow out the system in November. I read about the 45 degrees. Thanks again.

8. Jan Pijpelink

Jan Pijpelink
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 2, 2015
    Loc:
    Lindenwold, NJ
    Replaced the PVB. No leaks from the PVB. Me happy. Testing the system, no water from any of the sprinklers. Noticed I have a leak in one of the underground pipes. Me not so happy anymore.

9. Ashful

Ashful
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Mar 7, 2012
    Loc:
    Philadelphia
    I managed to hit a 1" lateral with a digging spade while scrambling in the dark one night to plant some trees that Arbor Day Foundation sent me last November, and had no idea it had happened, until I powered up the system this spring. The ground swelled up like some ugly balloon, then burst open to a sink hole that could swallow the average lawn tractor. Messy stuff, but I managed to get it dug out and repaired the next day.

Jan Pijpelink likes this.