Toro Lawn Mower

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Czech

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jan 20, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
So I have a Toro 6.5 GTS that has been running 'choppy' (no pun intended) for the last year or so, it's about 5 years old with the typical little maint on my part. I changed the oil and plug and ran sea foam thru it this year, still coughing a lot but still starting and cutting the grass, just runs choppy, up and and down, missing. What should I look at next? Thanks gang.

Air filter clean?

Yep! I'm thinking something ignition related other than the plug?

It's solid state ignition, which usually either runs or it doesn't. So, as long as the air filter is clean, my guess would be it needs a carb adjustment or rebuild.

So I put a new air filter on tonight, sprayed the intake with carb cleaner until it died and let it sit, fresh gas with seafoam. Still runs like " varoommm, daaahahaaaa, dadddadaa, daaaaaaaa, da, da , daaaaaaaaaaa" Got the grass cut anyways, daaaaaaa da daaaaaaaaa da da daaaaaa. Is it possible that I may have gotten water in the ignition when I power washed it before I put it away last fall? Would said water still be in there if so? How does one check the solid state ignition? Thanks for your help quads! What does your screen name mean? I've got twins here, hope it does not reflect kids in your case, not sure what I'd do!

Ha ha, nope not the number of kids! It's the number of wheels on my recreational vehicle of choice, ATV.

No, it's not water in the ignition system. Solid state ignition usually either has spark (engine runs), or it doesn't have spark (engine doesn't run at all), no in between.

I think it's in the carb. Since you pressure washed it and put it away last Fall, there is possibly water in the fuel system. I'm not a big fan of pressure washers. They potentially put a lot of water in engines, bearings, whatever. Try putting some ISO Heet (contains isopropyl alcohol) in the gas tank and see if it runs better after awhile. Change the fuel filter. Otherwise, the carb may need to be boiled out and rebuilt. There could be water in the float bowl, corrosion in the jets, leaky needle and seat, etc.

Thanks again quads, I can sleep well now knowing that we're talking ATV's in your case. This thing has a fuel filter? I better look closer under the hood and do that too.

Yes, it will have a fuel filter on it somewhere. Can't tell you where you will find it though. Could be a small one in the fuel line, in the fitting threaded in the bottom of the tank, etc. Good luck!

SlyFerret said:
Any chance it's a gasket? Maybe head gasket or intake gasket?

-SF
Good thinking! Could be that too, I agree.

Did all of the above, ran it alot over the last week with fresh fuel and seafoam, still stuttering. Popped the top off this eve, at first thought the governor (wow it was fun to mess with that, the wife likes it at full R's) was getting hung up, cleaned all with carb clean and then the air compressor to blow crap off, external blowing. Where the heck is there a fuel filter? Picture attached, is it in the plastic 90 going into the carb? Straight gas line from the tank to the carb otherwise.

Picture....sorry cell phone blur.

Attachments

• 090729_180615.jpg
    090729_180615.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 273
GotzTheHotz said:
Did all of the above, ran it alot over the last week with fresh fuel and seafoam, still stuttering. Popped the top off this eve, at first thought the governor (wow it was fun to mess with that, the wife likes it at full R's) was getting hung up, cleaned all with carb clean and then the air compressor to blow crap off, external blowing. Where the heck is there a fuel filter? Picture attached, is it in the plastic 90 going into the carb? Straight gas line from the tank to the carb otherwise.
Either there, or in the bottom of the tank. It's probably not much more than a fine screen.

It's beginning to sound like a bigger problem, carb rebuild, bad gasket, bad valves.......

Assuming the choke is set properly, you've got a plugged jet or needle valve in the carb. Take it off, take it apart, clean every little tiny passage out, wipe out any green gunk or brown varnish from the bowl, screen, etc. Replace the gaskets & o-rings, and it should be much better. Sounds like the uneven running is from the needle valve sticking a little - too open and it overriches itself; too closed and it overleans. It's trying to do its job and maintain even running, but those little plug-ups and gunky buildups prevent some of the fine motion needed internally...

Not even sure where the choke is, there is no manual setting that I know of. Well, I guess I better brush up on my carb building skills, probably a good thing as I have a chain saw and generator that need the same job. Thanks guys!

Edthedawg said:
Assuming the choke is set properly, you've got a plugged jet or needle valve in the carb. Take it off, take it apart, clean every little tiny passage out, wipe out any green gunk or brown varnish from the bowl, screen, etc. Replace the gaskets & o-rings, and it should be much better. Sounds like the uneven running is from the needle valve sticking a little - too open and it overriches itself; too closed and it overleans. It's trying to do its job and maintain even running, but those little plug-ups and gunky buildups prevent some of the fine motion needed internally...

I agree with this one - whatever the orifice is that the gas passes through is most likely dirt/clogged. Not sure what the carb looks like and what the set up but that is my bet. Take it apart and you will most likely need something very fine to clean the orifice.

Thanks again guys, I'll let you know the outcome after I 'go in'!

gth, I believe on that style carb the main jet is a passage drilled in the side of the bolt holding the bowl on the carb. It is easy to check and clean. Have some rags handy to catch the gas ,( pinch off the fuel line or drain), loosen the bolt and remove the bolt and bowl. This is one of the main problems that I've encountered. You should be able to do this without removing the carb, and be careful as to not stretch /rip the bowl gasket. Its a big square o-ring between the top of the bowl and carb. If you do the can be had at any lawnmower shop.

As for cleaning the passage, a quick one is to pull out some wire strands on an old wire brush. Or get some simple green and soak parts overnight.

Status
Not open for further replies.