Touchy stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

RomanW

Man the stove was temperamental last night... -22c, slight wind, had to do a bit more finicking than usual. Oh well, still heats the house LOL. Was having some draw issue last week with the -28 and 60km/h winds... made my chimney cap and top 2 feet look a little grizzly though. Almost looks like frost build up, but it's black. When I touched it, it just falls off and turns to powder. I ordered the ERCW windshield from ICC... we'll see if that helps at all. I was going to go with the revolving rain cap, but didn't want to have a spare rain cap sitting around. We'll see how it goes.

Also let the stove die down on sunday and lit it up in the afternoon and had water drip down the front of my support box. It eventually stopped, but left a gummy residue behind, and when I wiper it, it was a brown colour. When I was up top I noticed that some of the smoke had mixed with the melting snow and dripped down onto the roof and flashing. Looks like I have a leak to track down!

Anyways, happy burning everyone! There's so much to learn!

Here are some pics of it!

Image (6).jpeg Image (5).jpeg Image (4).jpeg Image (3).jpeg

My opinion is that its normal creosote build up, but not much at all. I may be wrong. Someone on here will know more.

Reactions: RomanW
Whether that quantity is normal or not depends on how much you burned.
(Being that cold though will increase the rate of build up there, as it'll be tough keeping it warm to avoid condensation.)

Not too bad. The cap is uninsulated and cooling down the flue gases quickly. How much wood has gone through the stove since the last cleaning?

Not too bad. The cap is uninsulated and cooling down the flue gases quickly. How much wood has gone through the stove since the last cleaning?
Just installed it 2 weeks ago.

Now that being said... I didhave to leave it with my family during the days, and when I got home every night there was a fair amount of residue on the glass... I have a feeling they didn't follow my running instructions very closely lol. But again, it was very cold and very windy for those few days, so trying to keep 8 ft of exposed class A warm is very tough

Just installed it 2 weeks ago.

Now that being said... I didhave to leave it with my family during the days, and when I got home every night there was a fair amount of residue on the glass... I have a feeling they didn't follow my running instructions very closely lol. But again, it was very cold and very windy for those few days, so trying to keep 8 ft of exposed class A warm is very tough
We have 7' of exposed chimney pipe, albeit at much warmer temps. So far I see nothing alarming. I'd just watch it. Do you have a flue thermometer?

Yeah, an SBI one. I'm starting to find it's nice spot, and can usually keep it at a nice 600 ish degrees for an hour or so. then it drops to 400 for the last hour and a bit.

(I'm running pine, and only half loads since it will cook us out of the house with a full load LOL)