Tough day cutting!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Boy, this thread has me looking forward to growing old......... ;-) . Cheers!

45, I wish. 62, and felt like it at the end of this stacking day!

Attachments

• 2011 Stacking done.jpg
    2011 Stacking done.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 231
tfdchief said:
45, I wish. 62, and felt like it at the end of this stacking day!

Great work! Looks like you have it cleaned up nicely!

NH_Wood said:

Tell me about it! I'm 35 and have trouble, I screwed my back up years ago riding dirt bikes and aggravated it a month or so ago trying to muscle my snowmobile around. My knee's and ankles also tend to be touchy, I think I need to find some new hobbies. :lol:

smokinjay said:
mecreature said:
I just work on the smaller pieces.. and still have to roll them.

Kinda like those little rounds we where carrying yesterday? lol

carried the first one and rolled the rest... Im grabbing the hook on the other ones.

mecreature said:
smokinjay said:
mecreature said:
I just work on the smaller pieces.. and still have to roll them.

Kinda like those little rounds we where carrying yesterday? lol

carried the first one and rolled the rest... Im grabbing the hook on the other ones.

Next one's we will be one top of them. Always a though day, and even tougher when everthing is perfect. Makes more weight to move! lol

Working in vines and brush is a pain period.

Pumpkin seed oil is you friend!!!! Its not a pain killer but it helps rebuild tendons and ligaments and helps keep you from feeling pain in the first place and makes it go away sooner. I take one gell cap at the end of the day two if I was really pushing it. And if I know I will be working hard I take one before I start.

Flax seed oil is good for you joints and you can get it in gell caps too. I blew out my lower back 18 years ago and work and exercise is the only thing that keeps it from hurting. My stomach lining is all messed up and I have to stay away from pain killers and salt. I turned 45 on the 11th but rarely act like it.

Billy

rdust said:
NH_Wood said:

Tell me about it! I'm 35 and have trouble, I screwed my back up years ago riding dirt bikes and aggravated it a month or so ago trying to muscle my snowmobile around. My knee's and ankles also tend to be touchy, I think I need to find some new hobbies. :lol:

You need to stay away from those bikes and get an atv like ours rdust. It can even replace the snowmobile. ;-)

Knees and ankles too?! Yes, you need some different hobbies. Have you considered taking up chess?

Now you know why modern saw mill run their logs thru metal detectors before
going thru the blade. Even more expensive for them. I've hit nails too, so now I'm cautious when
cutting trees that have been near houses & property lines. I look for scars etc but every now & then
you hit a nail or "grown in" wire fence pieces, ruins you day, for sure.
If in doubt I sacrifice the lower 6' of a tree, but never thought about tree stands/house.

An older buddy told me: "Getting old is not for the weak or meek"
I'm finding it to be true. More & more every day.

Backwoods Savage said:
You need to stay away from those bikes and get an atv like ours rdust. It can even replace the snowmobile. ;-)

Knees and ankles too?! Yes, you need some different hobbies. Have you considered taking up chess?

Dirt bikes are gone, but still have the sled. I'm not willing to give everything up just yet. :)

I'm also 62 but still reasonably capable. The motto I live by is Don't try to be a hero.

I get the job done, eventually, but I pay close attention to my body and take care of it. Luckily, all I've had to contend with so far is lower back pain. That can be painful enough. Improving abdominal muscle tone wards off the back pain, mostly. If I get some back pain, I've found that simple Ibuprofen is more than good enough. Most adults can safely double or triple up on the dosing- 400 or 600mg. This is not even an 'off label' use, BTW- I have seen 600mg Ibuprofen (by prescription only). Ibuprofen is a terrific muscle relaxant. If you hammer back pain early ("hammer" = 2x/3x unit dose of 200mg), you can often nip it in the bud and avoid days of unnecessary pain. After all, for most people, this sort of pain is primarily muscular spasms and not real mechanical damage to anything.

I've hit a goodly few nails and lag bolts, etc. It does ruin a chain or two. Guess I just chalk that up as an unavoidable part of wood harvesting, part of the overhead.

BTW I have used a heck of a lot of wood this past winter. Significantly more than last winter. I'm still working on getting ahead. I'm probably 1 to 1.5 years ahead right now. Planning to be at least 3 years ahead by this coming autumn.

Cluttermagnet is exactly right.

If I know a good long day is in front of me I usually take 2 ibuprofen about an hour before I start.
Most back problems start out from inflammation somewhere and it goes untreated.

rdust said:
Backwoods Savage said:

Dirt bikes are gone, but still have the sled. I'm not willing to give everything up just yet. :)

You need to ride this type of bike. You are the engine but this bike is easy on the body! I had to give up riding my beautiful Bianchi because I could no longer take the pain in various spots but when I got this bike, riding was once again fun!

bacchetta_corsa.jpg

Backwoods Savage said:
rdust said:
Backwoods Savage said:

You need to ride this type of bike. You are the engine but this bike is easy on the body! I had to give up riding my beautiful Bianchi because I could no longer take the pain in various spots but when I got this bike, riding was once again fun!

bacchetta_corsa.jpg

I seem to fall asleep whenever I lay down......might be a poor bike choice for me! Cheers!

Now worries there. The angle of the seat has lots of adjustment. But I do get accused of laying down on the job while riding. lol It is really funny some of the comments I get with this bike. I'm seriously considering a new one too to add to the collection.

Status
Not open for further replies.