Tractor Supply

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kramerica72

Jan 3, 2014
Fremont, NH
I've been running my stove for a few weeks this year, and having burned a good number of bags of FSU's, Chows, Nature's Own, and TSC MWP's, I have to say the MWP's have burned the best by a long shot----good heat and very little ash. On the other side of the spectrum for me has been the FSU's--they've continuously produced crispy ash cakes in my pot. I know some folks swear by them, but they've not been great for me--I even bought bags from different stores, but still came away with the same results.

I've been running my stove for a few weeks this year, and having burned a good number of bags of FSU's, Chows, Nature's Own, and TSC MWP's, I have to say the MWP's have burned the best by a long shot----good heat and very little ash. On the other side of the spectrum for me has been the FSU's--they've continuously produced crispy ash cakes in my pot. I know some folks swear by them, but they've not been great for me--I even bought bags from different stores, but still came away with the same results.
Now I bought a couple bags of FSU at HD and was Impressed with the low ash and high heat in a HarmanP61.
Guess a lot depends on the stove type. Lot less ashy than Stove chows..

I picked up a few bags of FSUs for testing, first time I've ever tried them. While the heat is great, they produced some of the worst ash I've seen. That experience differs vastly from what most others report about them. Just goes to show you, everyone's experience is different. I think perception based on prior experience plays a huge part in it too. I have been burning mostly Vermonts for the past 3-4 seasons. Next to those, most other brands of pellets are going to seem "a little ashy" I think the term is?

Reactions: kramerica72
Status
Not open for further replies.