Tractor tire chains

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
There are good and bad to both options if weight is needed through out the year filing the tires is the way to go.

Just got my rear tires filled with calcium, new tubes, valve stems, calcium was $325.00, added approx. 700 lbs of weight, still waiting for the dealer to get back to me about the chains

With the DK series listed at 3600 without equipment, I wonder if I'll even need more than chains. Initially I was going to get a CK4010, but the higher load lifting capacity of the DK4710 won me over. I figured the lighter weight of the CK would make it easier to maneuver and less likely to tear up the grass.

With the DK series listed at 3600 without equipment, I wonder if I'll even need more than chains. Initially I was going to get a CK4010, but the higher load lifting capacity of the DK4710 won me over. I figured the lighter weight of the CK would make it easier to maneuver and less likely to tear up the grass.
once you get over 2,500 lbs I don't think the size matters for taring up grass, I'd go dk series if I were you, still a class 1 3 point hitch so you'll have unlimited accessories, plus the extra weight / lift capacity when it comes to moving wood, My next investment is probably a grapple, it would be nice to get a tree lift it up off the ground to cut rounds and not be bent over with the saw all the time

once you get over 2,500 lbs I don't think the size matters for taring up grass, I'd go dk series if I were you, still a class 1 3 point hitch so you'll have unlimited accessories, plus the extra weight / lift capacity when it comes to moving wood, My next investment is probably a grapple, it would be nice to get a tree lift it up off the ground to cut rounds and not be bent over with the saw all the time

I'm really considering a grapple. The local Kioti dealer is also a logging company with trucks, loaders, etc. I'm thinking about running a second rear hydraulic like so I can get a grabber bucket for the backhoe or maybe a grapple. I've never been so excited to do work.

Reactions: heavy hammer
I'm really considering a grapple. The local Kioti dealer is also a logging company with trucks, loaders, etc. I'm thinking about running a second rear hydraulic like so I can get a grabber bucket for the backhoe or maybe a grapple. I've never been so excited to do work.
The rear hoe attachment is great, I love mine but a hydraulic thumb is a little to much for the size of the hoe, the fixed thumb is better and can be totally removed when doing a digging project so it isn't in the way.

The rear hoe attachment is great, I love mine but a hydraulic thumb is a little to much for the size of the hoe, the fixed thumb is better and can be totally removed when doing a digging project so it isn't in the way.

Thank you for flawlessly interpreting my poor terminology and telling me the proper way. I didn't realize there was such a thing as a fixed thumb, that is clever. I take it a hydraulic thumb wouldn't fold back far enough for a backhoe this small. The fixed thumb appears to be a much thriftier way of achieving the same goal of moving logs and boulders.

I also plan on getting a few food lengths of chain and a some skidding tongs. The more I think about this stuff, the more the HST makes the most sense for a CUT.

I also plan on getting a few food lengths of chain and a some skidding tongs. The more I think about this stuff, the more the HST makes the most sense for a CUT.
If you are going to get serious about doing it look at a logging winch. I'm not willing to put all that cab glass into the woods. Park the machine out in the open and pull the logs to you.

Reactions: TreePointer
If you are going to get serious about doing it look at a logging winch. I'm not willing to put all that cab glass into the woods. Park the machine out in the open and pull the logs to you.

I'm not getting a can for that reason. I plan to be in the woods a lot with this tractor

Reactions: heavy hammer
Check out everything attachments grapples. Look at tractor by net reviews as well I use my grapple for logging, firewood etc. They are tough well built and nicely priced. My dealer recommended them over the one they sell. Check out some of their videos.

Reactions: TreePointer
I agree that you want to stay with at category 1 3 point, your implements will be cheaper and much easier to find used as well. What kind of tire are you looking at agg or industrial? I have the industrial they are easier on the grass, I use my tractor to mow so that is why I went this route. If going to be in the woods a lot agg's might be better. Regardless when the ground is wet or you start spinning you will tear up the grass. Spacebus it sounds like you are gong with the bigger tractor you will be happier. The PTO hp between them is so close the bigger tractor has a little less but you get more tractor and lifting capacity. It is always a tough decision, what kind of implements are you planning on running off the PTO?

Reactions: SpaceBus
I agree that you want to stay with at category 1 3 point, your implements will be cheaper and much easier to find used as well. What kind of tire are you looking at agg or industrial? I have the industrial they are easier on the grass, I use my tractor to mow so that is why I went this route. If going to be in the woods a lot agg's might be better. Regardless when the ground is wet or you start spinning you will tear up the grass. Spacebus it sounds like you are gong with the bigger tractor you will be happier. The PTO hp between them is so close the bigger tractor has a little less but you get more tractor and lifting capacity. It is always a tough decision, what kind of implements are you planning on running off the PTO?

I'm going with industrial tires in an attempt to not destroy the small amount of grass we do have. In the winter I'll mostly be using the snow blower and loader. On nice winter days perhaps I'll work on trails and pulling out brush and dead stuff. The summer will be a lot of backhoe, stump grinder, post hole digger, and box blade. I'd like to get a chipper shredder at some point as well. Pallet forks are a given and will probably see the most use moving firewood.

Just got my rear tires filled with calcium, new tubes, valve stems, calcium was $325.00, added approx. 700 lbs of weight, still waiting for the dealer to get back to me about the chains

Great decision to add ballast to the rear tires; that alone will help tremendously with your tractor's performance. And although I have my tires loaded with rim guard, I will say calcium chloride isn't necessarily the evil some make it out to be. I have seen many a tractor with rims and tires filled with calcium chloride that are finally starting to rot after 60-65 years; I don't think one can complain too much for getting 60 years out of a rim...

On the topic of tire chains, I have found the simple ladder style chains work best and offer the best ride. I have had a pair of the "duo grip" style and all I can say is with those puppies on your tires is "hold on tight!!!"; those things make a tractor ride like sitting in a church pew atop a chuck wagon.

I have a Takeuchi mini ex with a hydraulic thumb. Depending on the task at hand, I may leave it fully retracted and use it as if it was a fixed thumb. Other times I find it handy to grasp with it while the bucket is hanging with the teeth straight down. Sometimes I use it both ways within minutes of each other.

The fixed thumb would be a vast improvement over no thumb, but the hydraulic is more vesatile. There are days I curse having the thumb as it can hang up on the side of a hole. When it does, I end up digging an elongated hole to get depth.

I fantasize about getting a new tractor, but the old 8N will not die.

I have a Takeuchi mini ex with a hydraulic thumb. Depending on the task at hand, I may leave it fully retracted and use it as if it was a fixed thumb. Other times I find it handy to grasp with it while the bucket is hanging with the teeth straight down. Sometimes I use it both ways within minutes of each other.

The fixed thumb would be a vast improvement over no thumb, but the hydraulic is more vesatile. There are days I curse having the thumb as it can hang up on the side of a hole. When it does, I end up digging an elongated hole to get depth.

I fantasize about getting a new tractor, but the old 8N will not die.

Is a hydraulic thumb something a person could install at home? I've never dealt with hydraulics outside of brakes.

I think it depends on the amount of equipment and knowledge you have. I bought my mini used. The thumb was on it. The mini had belonged to landscaping company. They added the thumb. A little plumbing and a little welding is all it looks to have taken. It looks as if they found an open port on the pump, plumbed in the paddle and cylinder and welded a bracket on.

Mine operates off a foot paddle, and that part looks to have been sourced from Takeuchi. The welding looks as if a drunken baboon did it, but as long as it works, I am not going to revamp it.

Last summer I broke a ram. I thought about making the part, but it is induction hardened, and while I could have handled the machine work at home, I had no way to harden the ram. It was right at $500 to have a ram made and the cylinder rebuilt.

That was my only foray into hydraulics other than brakes. The plumbing, removal and replacement was no more difficult than replacing a carb on a car.

You can find a lot of videos as well about plumbing hydraulics. Like most things it is not overly complicated just if it is new it makes things slower and a little more confusing.

Late to this thread, but I think you're already on the right path with getting those tires filled, kenny. I have 2-link chains for all four corners of my 4wd CUT, and they really don't buy you much benefit on asphalt. Chains are great when they have something to dig into, but they tend to just spin on asphalt (and give you a really crappy ride). I use mine when I'm going into mud or off-road in the snow.

You're just fighting weight with a pusher, you have a pretty small machine for using a pusher. I have had some of the same problems. We have all the torque and horsepower we need, we're just lacking weight for sufficient traction.

In addition to filled tires, you can try wheel weights and a ballast box. In fact, you should have a ballast box if you have a loader or grapple, but this won't help your steering problems as it loads more weight on the rear and unloads the front.

I'm watching the weather, it looks as though I can test my weighted tires w/ pusher setup Tuesday / Wednesday this week, preliminary forecast is calling for a 4-8" event with mixing for my area, so the stuff should be nice and heavy, I'm still out to pasture on chains, but maybe after this storm I will find out that I don't need them cause of the extra rear ballast.
I did get to use the pusher twice this year, first time was w/ around 6" of snow sleet and a little ice, I got it done but struggled a little with traction issues, the second storm was 5" of snow (lighter stuff) and I was able to breeze through it all.
My quest for traction is because I tend to work during all storms, my typical shift during storm mode has me leaving the house at 5am and not making it back home till near mid night and I have to be back in by 7am (8hrs rest time) so it isn't uncommon to come home to a driveway that has 2 ft of the crap, I never had a issue w/ clearing (I've used in the past the front bucket, a snow bucket and rear blade) I'm just trying to save time because it get tedious using the bucket method, so a snow pusher seemed the like the best option for my driveway and turn around layout.

Happy to report that we so far received approx 2” of snow and 1-2” sleet mixed in, I did the driveway once and this stuff is heavy.. the tractor with just the loaded tires has made a night and day difference. I’m going to relax with the chain idea for now, very happy with the outcome so far.

Maybe look during the spring, and summer months you may find a deal from someone looking to get rid of some chains.

I’m glad it’s working for you, Kenny. I hate the idea of using chains on asphalt. As we discussed before, I have 2-link chains for all four corners, but only run them off-road. My neighbors who run chains on their driveways scar them up something fierce. Looks like hell the other nine months of the year.

That's great news. Those ballasted tires make a huge difference and if your tractor has 4WD, I wouldn't worry too much about finding chains. As long as it isn't really icy out, I doubt you'd notice too much of a difference.

That's great news. Those ballasted tires make a huge difference and if your tractor has 4WD, I wouldn't worry too much about finding chains. As long as it isn't really icy out, I doubt you'd notice too much of a difference.

Good point about the ice. Chains or studs are the only thing that can help you on smooth ice.