Tractor Wanted

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Henz

Mar 23, 2006
Northville, NY
Looking for a used Tractor to move logs around and push some dirt. Anyone use a tractor to do this>??? What are some options that I should look for and about what size. I ahve been told a 30HP would be a good place to start. 4WD would be essential

4wd is not essential. nice, but not essential. Good tires on it and it will move. Ours are 2wd and we've not had problems in snow or deep mud. Ag tires help, of course.

EVEN GOING UP AND DOWN A PRETTY DECENT HILL?? MY ENTIRE WOODLOT IS 400' ABOVE MY HOUSE

that seems pretty step. I have had the tractor stuck a few time pulling logs and its not step at all in indiana (farmall super M)

well, there is a road up to it and once up there its flat..I was just referring to getting up there and down with a trailer

Adirondackwoodburner said:
well, there is a road up to it and once up there its flat..I was just referring to getting up there and down with a trailer
if you got a trailer no problems with 2wd even in deep snow pulling a log across the ground up hill another story.

The hill would only be climbed in the spring/fall, no snow to speak of at that time

Id say 30 hp will be enough 2wd with pto. ( chose a gear and stay in that gear when coming down the hill with a big load once you take it out its hard to find another gear)

If not 4WD then at least diff-lock sure beats 1WD.

LLigetfa said:
what i have used in the past is a brake for each wheel witch is real cool for turning as well as traction

smokinj said:
LLigetfa said:
what i have used in the past is a brake for each wheel witch is real cool for turning as well as traction

yup. That's great for turning in the mud or with a heavy load in the back.

if the hill is that steep, you may want weights for the front end.

THERE IS A DECENT ROAD.. its not that steep, I see tractors going up it .

I have a Ford 1910 4WD. I mounted an ATV winch on the front bucket and it does a pretty good job for the money. The tractor weighs about 2 tons and does a good job skidding and a great job clearing snow. Our 2wd tractor was not very useful at the camp in the Adirondacks.

Attachments

• wench1a.JPG
    wench1a.JPG
    100.5 KB · Views: 266
  • wench2a.JPG
    wench2a.JPG
    102 KB · Views: 268
I have a JD 2520 with a BH and FEL. A grapple for picking up and moving logs might be nice, but I cut into rounds and use the FEL. A friend uses forks where his FEL bucket would mount.
A trailer of some sort would make more sense sometimes, especially long trips into the woods. I've used the BH and chains to move some logs around.
I've dragged some logs, but that gets lame quick.
No way would I part with 4WD. Especially in the woods.
4WD also comes in handy real quick digging gravel with the FEL.
If what you're scooping is already loose (dropped loam and mulch, etc) then 4WD when digging with the FEL might not be all that necessary.

Purchased my rig for old barn foundation removal, backfill moving and a bunch of well water pipe replacement trenching projects.
Moving wood and snowplowing (plowing with a FEL is messy) is secondary.

Status
Not open for further replies.