Trail Cams

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Those cam pictures are neat--thanks--how fun----"Except" ---no bears for me..."I bet the baby was cute" "Run"...Thanks for sharing..clancey
We had another system come through that gave us more rain for 30 minutes. We were watching the Stanley Cup finals when I looked out back and the black bear was checking out some hanging flowers, it looked like last years cub but still big enough that it could hurt you.

I stood up and went on the back porch (screened in) and it wandered off down one of our trails. We have a neighbor who throws out food (bread and other stuff) for the birds, I'm wondering if that is what is bringing the bear down here or it's just the heat.

We had another system come through that gave us more rain for 30 minutes. We were watching the Stanley Cup finals when I looked out back and the black bear was checking out some hanging flowers, it looked like last years cub but still big enough that it could hurt you.

I stood up and went on the back porch (screened in) and it wandered off down one of our trails. We have a neighbor who throws out food (bread and other stuff) for the birds, I'm wondering if that is what is bringing the bear down here or it's just the heat.
I had an mother inlaw that claimed to have no end of trouble with marauding animals - coons, woodchucks, possums squirrels, coyotes, ferral cats - in the sheds, eating her car wires, burrowing under and into the house, destroying foundations and crops. I drove in early one morning, and saw 6 racoons wandering around in her driveway. I went in and said did you know you have 6 racoons wandering around in your driveway? She said she threw a bag of birdseed out on the driveway the day before so she could feed the birds.

This was the small bear the wife saw in the tree and then it showed up tonight.

bear1.JPG bear2.JPG bear3.JPG

Last edited:
Gosh that does not look like a small bear to me--Yeeks....Its looking for food the poor thing and sure hope it goes far far away from you all..The grass is beautiful --pretty...clancey

Reactions: thewoodlands
The trail cam that was up in the gully later yesterday didn't have the bear pass it but a doe did.

When I was out today, I did see a fawn for the first time this year and then ma wasn't that far behind.

DSCF0149.JPG DSCF0150.JPG DSCF0151.JPG

Gosh that does not look like a small bear to me--Yeeks....Its looking for food the poor thing and sure hope it goes far far away from you all..The grass is beautiful --pretty...clancey
We use to have bird seed out in the feeders until we had a bear show up that weighed between 300 - 350 pounds, that was in 2008.

Gosh I have pigeons and I could never have my birdies in a place like that--in fact--For me I am better off in the city. But the pictures you share are nice and I can pretend to be there--lol...Pretty deer...thanks..clancey

We're kind of in the middle here where there's really nothing that could kill you if caught off gaurd. Bears and wolves are about 75mi north, snakes and scorpions 75mi south. So were good.

Bears, wolves, coyote, and mountain lion are all present in the southern 1/2 of WI. For years the DNR swore bears,wolves, and particularly lion did not exist in the southern 1/2 . Sightings were rare and mostly were explained away by it was big dog or Kitty or whatever. Advent of trail cams forced their hand. Some more recent cases have made the national news, like the mountain lion in the town / city of Brookfield a short time back and the black bear in Butler few years ago. In the late 80's I was tracking a big cat in rural Waukesha county for quite a while. At the time the DNR was down playing it. That wasn't any "farm cat" or "large dog" ( dnr statements) either.

Last edited:
We had a coyote come through part of the gully/ravine overnight and a raccoon on another trail but no signs of the bear, I'll switch the camera in the gully/ravine closer to the area the coyote came through.

Attachments

• DSCF0153.JPG
    DSCF0153.JPG
    108.6 KB · Views: 160
  • DSCF0156.JPG
    DSCF0156.JPG
    124.5 KB · Views: 157
  • DSCF0157.JPG
    DSCF0157.JPG
    124.5 KB · Views: 161
  • DSCF0001.JPG
    DSCF0001.JPG
    107 KB · Views: 171
I moved the cameras hoping if the coyote comes through again, I'll get a better picture. I also placed the second camera in a different spot hoping I can see if the coyote is coming from the west along the gully/ravine near the back hill.

In my experience, almost regardless of where you are, there is always a mountain lion around. They're extremely adaptable and significantly better at not being spotted than bears.

The dog has been acting funny when out for a walk on our house property, usually she likes walking but doesn't want to go, I put the trail cams back up, maybe the Bear or Coyote are back around.

I did see the fawn with her mother the other day so hopefully it's just the weather affecting our dog.

Mama showing the little one.

Attachments

• DSCF0166.JPG
    DSCF0166.JPG
    415.4 KB · Views: 163
  • DSCF0168.JPG
    DSCF0168.JPG
    389 KB · Views: 161
  • DSCF0170.JPG
    DSCF0170.JPG
    414.9 KB · Views: 163
  • DSCF0172.JPG
    DSCF0172.JPG
    415.4 KB · Views: 159
  • DSCF0174.JPG
    DSCF0174.JPG
    358.3 KB · Views: 158
I thought with the deer eating off the hill in the back that the yote would show up but it never came down the trail, just deer.

DSCF0038.JPG DSCF0040.JPG DSCF0079.JPG DSCF0115.JPG DSCF0199.JPG DSCF0201.JPG DSCF0215.JPG DSCF0262.JPG

Reactions: duramaxman05
I think I'll start leaving some of these old logs laying where they are. Some of them have been there for almost 50 years. I set up a camera because I was curious what was making long (1/2 mile) trails through the woods, with the trail ending at this log. The possum dragged in a pc of deer hide and stored it in the log for later. The game cam had 22 videos in one day/night - lots of activity.
(ignore the date stamps, should be march 1)

coon.jpg possum.jpg aDay1 tracks cross country2.jpg

My wife was walking the dog down through the gully when a coyote was running the ridge just above the gully which is only 30 feet away at the most, the yote kept going thank god.

The attached picture is from a trail cam I had put up in a certain area, you can see the yote looking at something, it was me heading down to my neighbor's place when I was putting in firewood for them.

I had two coming in from the west at night just before midnight and earlier this year they were coming in from another neighbor's property from the east.

DSCF0223.JPG

This is a coyote coming in from the east earlier this year.

DSCF0625.JPG DSCF0626.JPG

DSCF0331.JPG
Bear and cub.JPG
DSCF0321.JPG
Bobcat 2022.JPG
Coyote 2022.JPG
big buck 4.JPG
Bear nose 2022.JPG
DSCF0435.JPG

A few I've gotten from the last couple of years.

The color pic of the bobcat included 3 kittens in the video footage.

One is of a mama bear's nose before she tried to knock the camera off the tree.

The eagle pic and the two night time pics of the coyote and bobcat were next to a deer carcass I discovered about 50 feet from my walking trail on our property.

One thing I didnt know was that at least in the State of Maine, the person placing a game camera has to have the permission of the owner to place one. It's odd as most New England states have recreation access laws that say that unless its posted anyone has the right to roam private land but that apparently does not apply to placing game cams. My bet is many hunters are probably not aware of the rule.

One thing I didnt know was that at least in the State of Maine, the person placing a game camera has to have the permission of the owner to place one. It's odd as most New England states have recreation access laws that say that unless its posted anyone has the right to roam private land but that apparently does not apply to placing game cams. My bet is many hunters are probably not aware of the rule.

That just makes sense. If I found a cam on my property it would become mine.

Not much on the trail cams lately, just some deer and a squirrel.

DSCF0159.JPG DSCF0164.JPG DSCF0171.JPG

Reactions: duramaxman05