Trailer brakes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Black Jaque Janaviac

Feeling the Heat
Dec 17, 2009
Ouisconsin
I see that many trailers are advertised as 2990 lbs GVWR even though the construction is capable of 3500 lbs.

This, I'm told, is because at beyond 3000 lbs trailer brakes are required.

How can I tell if my Dodge Dakota is ready for trailer brakes? I bought it used and it came with a 2" receiver which had the box for the round (7-prong) electrical plug. I also noticed that under the hood there are three "radiators". I'm told this is an indicator that it has a factory-installed towing package and trailer brakes should be as easy as putting them on the trailer.

Is this true?

Also, are brakes fairly easy to install do-it-yourself?

To install brakes on trailer will require new hubs and associated wiring ( electric will be the simplest) then a controller in the cab of the truck. there might be a plug in under the dash for it. most trucks from about 99 on have the plug. Be aware that most of the insurance co. are requiring brakes on all axels . They also frown on surge brakes ( i do not remember right now but in WI I do not think you can retro fit to those anymore or purchase a new trailer with those installed.) The real reason for the 2950 rating is 3k on up has to be lic. in WI. I know around my area the LEO's have been getting real picky on trailers, total gvw ect.

FuzzyOne said:
I put this page up a few years ago. It may answer some of your questions about adding brakes to a trailer.

http://home.comcast.net/~jeffbevan/camping/brakes.htm

Thanks for the info! I sold my tandem axle 12k dump trailer (brakes on all 4 wheels) last year and picked up a small single axle 2995lb landscape trailer (also with 3500lb axle). It will be getting brakes real soon now.

I just built a 3500# trailer and installed brakes when I did it. If you have the factory tow package on your truck you can use electric brakes. I also have a Dakota (03) There is a blue plug above the white box to the left side of the brake pedal. Its a bear to get off the white box but it will come off. Just buy a brake controller adapter plug ($14) and wire to your controller. only four wires and you just match the colors.

As far as the brakes go you can get the whole bolt on assembly for around $225. Then you need to change the plug on the trailer to the 7 pin. WARNING... THE COLORS DO NOT MATCH!!!!! Dont ask me how I know this! You can find wiring diagrams on line. The brakes are easy, the wires are the same color, one goes to your wiring and one to ground, doesnt matter which. Dont for get the battery operated break away switch and battery w/built in charger. I picked up a unit locally for $32. The trailer wiring is a challenge but if you take your time and can read a wiring diagram youll be ok. Dielectric grease on the wire splices, and ground screws. (if you dont solder and shrink wrap) is highly recommended.

FWIW - whether or not trailer brakes are required is typically a state-by-state law. Some states require brakes on one or both axles, some have no such requirements. You may be well advised to google your local DMV. If you pick up a trailer with no brakes in a state requiring them you won't be able to get a plate for it...

Black Jaque Janaviac said:
I see that many trailers are advertised as 2990 lbs GVWR even though the construction is capable of 3500 lbs.

This, I'm told, is because at beyond 3000 lbs trailer brakes are required.

How can I tell if my Dodge Dakota is ready for trailer brakes? I bought it used and it came with a 2" receiver which had the box for the round (7-prong) electrical plug. I also noticed that under the hood there are three "radiators". I'm told this is an indicator that it has a factory-installed towing package and trailer brakes should be as easy as putting them on the trailer.

Is this true?

Also, are brakes fairly easy to install do-it-yourself?

Blades is right on for the 3000lb rule in WI . For light trailers like fishing and runabout boats, jetskis, ATVs and snow mobile no plates are required as long as you stay in WI in fact there are alot of folks near the state line that use the toys in WI that will register the vehicle in WI just to avoid the tag charge.
I have heard of folks that have multiple trailers all listed as 3000lb because if you go higher you have to buy a more expensive plate ( I am in Illinois ) and all the trailers are listed as home made with no title recorded against the plate. This means if your plates are run it shows homemade and no other reference meaning you "could" have one plate and use it on any trailer.
My home made tandem trailer even has a title that shows it as a 3000lb trailer I got it from a fellow that had his buddy build it and thats how he had it recorded.

Black Jaque, if you decide to install brakes on a trailer, I would suggest this site for parts and very helpful info: http://www.championtrailers.com/

I used Champion Trailers for all of my trailering needs during fifteen years of hauling boats to various bodies of water in the western US. They're good people with a good product at a fair price. Highly recommended. Best wishes, John_M

Edit: Trailer brakes are easy to install if the axle has the necessary mounting hardware (four hole mounting plate) already installed and the kind of brake ie: electric, hydraulic drum, hydraulic disc, electric over hydraulic drum or electric over hydraulic disc. or some newer technology with which I am not familiar. Installing brakes on a properly equiped axle is about a one weekend job. Based on hauling up to 6,000# boats, my personal favorite in trailer brakes is hydraulic stainless steel disc brakes. If your trailer has two axles I would suggest brakes on both axles. If your trailer has two axles and you are going to install brakes on only one axle, make it the front axle. Most of the trailer's weight shifts to the front axle during the stopping process.

It sounds to me as if you are inquiring about adding an electric brake controller to your vehicle. If it is prewired with a tow package, then it should be fairly easy. Some controllers, such as the Tekonsha Prodigy, have available wiring harnesses that will plug right in to your existing wiring. You mount the controller and away you go. Even if the vehicle isn't prewired, it isn't something that someone with reasonable elctrical knowledge can't do. You will need to run a positive and ground direct from the battery using a self-resetting circuit breaker on the positive side, tap into the switched side of your brake light switch and run a wire to the trailer connector. For a hardware source, I recommend Rjays.com. I have used them several times and they have a broad product line with good pricing.

Status
Not open for further replies.