2001 Sequoia and trailering firewood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

russb

Jan 7, 2014
NJ
tldr; Recommend a trailer for towing firewood with a 2001 Toyota Sequoia, Towing Capacity: 6500 lb.

My '02 silverado 2500hd (perfect for hauling wood) is retired. Too much rust and a host of smaller issues that I would bother with if it was worth it (it's quite rotten in the frame).

So I got a '01 Toyota Sequoia Limited to take over wood hauling duties and serve as a backup family vehicle (I have a 6-member family so the third row is handy). The ol' primary family vehicle is an '04 Mercury Monterey minivan with 184,000 miles (but running strong), so a backup will be useful before long, when the minivan goes down for maintenance and repairs.

I'm usually scrounging within a half hour of home and the majority of the ride is on long straight country roads, so I can take it easy if I approach the vehicle's towing capacity.

The Sequoia is obviously old, but without any frame rot. It appears the towing capacity for these is 6500 pounds, making for an interesting Trailer conundrum:

1. [My initial plan when I bought the Sequoia] Buy a single axle utility trailer that can haul about a ton of wood per trip (half cord of wet hardwood from what I'm reading). I generally threw about half a cord into the Silverado anyway (after half a decade I'm still terrible at estimating wood volume though, so might be way off here). I estimate that this would give me about the same hauling capacity, and should also tow like a dream behind the Sequoia. I think trailer brakes are a "nice-to-have" feature in this scenario, right?

2. [In the back of my mind] Buy a dual axle 7000 GVWR trailer and underload it a bit (just less than a cord), to tow close to the capacity of the Sequoia. Obviously trailer brakes are a must in this case. Sequoia has a stock 4-flat connector, but I've read that it's not hard to properly rig up a 7-round.

Still leaning towards the first option, because the smaller trailer will be more convenient for taking to the dump and camping (if the gate lays flat I can haul my canoe and kayak back there), so it will get used 20 times a year or more, most likely. I have a feeling I'll only use the larger trailer for firewood (5-10 times per year maybe), as it's overkill for a camping/dump rig. However, I could perhaps convince my neighbor (who already has the single axle utility trailer) to go in on a dual axle with me and we could both split the use of the 2 trailers. Just tossing around some options in my head, and I don't know anybody else who scrounges firewood like I do.

Right now I plan to rent a single axle from Tractor Supply in a couple weeks, and get a bunch of wood from my brother-in-laws house about a half hour away. That'll give me some firsthand experience with the option I'm leaning towards.

last spring picked up a 6x10 trailer wood plank deck ( Karavan) from Sam's club. it will handle close to a ton, to pull behind my Escape which is rated at 3500 # towing apx.. all the side rails and ramps are removable or can just be folded out flat in the case of the side rails ( it would be nice if the tail get could be folded in 1/2 because it acts like a big parachute back there- project # lost count) I mostly will load about a third of a cord or slightly over for transport when using the 2.5l turbo escape ( trailer wheel base wider that the suv) . A third of a cord of 2 year old Red Oak + trailer was apx max. only from a braking standpoint ( no brakes on trailer), 6 speed auto was shifting on some of the long hills - no real difficultly maintaining 70mph though. 46 mile jaunt. down to apx 15 mpg. trailer cost was apx 1200.

I have a 7000 lb tandem axle trailer with brakes on both axles, and I’d not be going that route unless you have a full size truck to pull it. The issue isn’t so much tow weight, as the tongue weight commensurate with a trailer of that size and weight. You would NEED a weight-distributing hitch (WDH), and while those can work well, they’re just a PITA. Also, the curb weight on a 7000 lb. trailer is usually going to be around 1500 lb.

So, if hauling a half cord at a time can work well enough for you, I’d go with one 3500 lb. axle on a smaller utility trailer. It will be versatile, less costly, and you won’t be breaking the Sequoia with it.

Reactions: CentralVAWoodHeat
I have a 7000 lb tandem axle trailer with brakes on both axles, and I’d not be going that route unless you have a full size truck to pull it. The issue isn’t so much tow weight, as the tongue weight commensurate with a trailer of that size and weight. You would NEED a weight-distributing hitch (WDH), and while those can work well, they’re just a PITA. Also, the curb weight on a 7000 lb. trailer is usually going to be around 1500 lb.

So, if hauling a half cord at a time can work well enough for you, I’d go with one 3500 lb. axle on a smaller utility trailer. It will be versatile, less costly, and you won’t be breaking the Sequoia with it.
I agree with you i am a little surprised the sequoia's towing capacity is that low though. It is a full sized suv i would have expected higher.

Yeah, the Sequoia doesn't tow much compared to some of the other big SUVs. I think the other full sized SUVs tow a lot more (Expedition, Suburban are both at 8k or more if I recall corectly).

So you guys confirmed that the tandem axle is most likely a bad idea for the Sequoia. I'll put it out of my mind. Since I bought it with the 3500 lb. single axle in mind, I'll likely go that route.

However, I'm taking suggestions if anyone knows how to eke out a little more capacity while maintaining versatility (for the aforementioned camping trips and dump runs, among other things) and staying well within the Sequoias towing range.

Anyone use a horse trailer for hauling wood?

I personally use a 6x10 landscape trailer with 1' high angle iron sides and 3500lb axle. Doesn't need brakes and my town allows it at the dump.
Has been a great tool for me. I would suggest the single axle with a ramp.

Keep in mind, I didn’t say it couldn’t be done, but I have tried that 7k tandem trailer behind a 5.7L Hemi Durango R/T, which is similar size to the Sequoia. Visibility was a problem, as was the tongue weight, even though it pulled and stopped the rig with no trouble (in PA we must have brakes on all wheels, at that weight).

It’s been a few decades since I’ve looked at Suburbans, but they used to compete with Excursions, not the Expedition. Did the Suburban shrink? I’ve pulled some big trailers in Excursions, that was a nice tow vehicle for boating families, etc.

Ashful, I looked for 2001, just to compare with my Sequoia. In that year, I think you're correct. The Suburban beats the Expedition in towing capacity. Expedition was at 8k or so, and Suburban at closer to 10k, if I remember right. I never found any used Excursions that met my search criteria, so never really looked into them this time.

I don't buy cars that were manufactured within the last decade, so I don't know about the new ones.

Also, Ashful, how do you know if tongue weight is an issue? Just dragging the rear of the vehicle down?

Also, Ashful, how do you know if tongue weight is an issue? Just dragging the rear of the vehicle down?
Yes it will sag the back of the truck and you will really feel it when driving. As long as you are within the towing capacity and tounge weight of the vehicle you could always add air shocks or air helper springs. And make sure your tires are rated for the weight.

I love my single axle 4x8 trailer. I pull it with a V6 ford escape. I have hauled everything in it over the last 17 years. I bought if from local manufacturer that made it from heavier materials than you find at the big box stores. Some of the cheaper ones have mesh floors that bend easily. Its small enough that if i want to back it into the garage easily to protect from rain or prying eyes, i can leave my wife's car inside the garage too. I recommend at least 4x8 inside measurements, so that you can lay a sheet of plywood flat. I don't mind loaning it to friends either.

Last edited:
Yeah, basically what bholler already said. The big issue here is that it affects steering, as tongue loading takes weight off the steering wheels. So, when you need to make an emergency maneuver, you may find you have insufficient steering traction. You also end up blinding oncoming traffic, with your headlights. ;lol

Etrailer lists the 2001 Sequoia spec's as follows:

Max tongue weight = 500 lb. (650 lb. with WDH)
Max GTW = 5000 lb. (6500 lb. with WDH)

So, we can see here, the primary limitation is the tongue weight. It can handle 500 lb., or 650 lb. with the WDH, and they're implying you can somehow manage to load that trailer right to the 10.000% minimum tongue weight. Most load their trailers to 10% - 15% tongue weight, meaning the tow capacity might really be as low as 3333 lb., without WDH. You are right in the sweet spot of single-axle trailer range.

Yeah, basically what bholler already said. The big issue here is that it affects steering, as tongue loading takes weight off the steering wheels. So, when you need to make an emergency maneuver, you may find you have insufficient steering traction. You also end up blinding oncoming traffic, with your headlights. ;lol

Etrailer lists the 2001 Sequoia spec's as follows:

Max tongue weight = 500 lb. (650 lb. with WDH)
Max GTW = 5000 lb. (6500 lb. with WDH)

So, we can see here, the primary limitation is the tongue weight. It can handle 500 lb., or 650 lb. with the WDH, and they're implying you can somehow manage to load that trailer right to the 10.000% minimum tongue weight. Most load their trailers to 10% - 15% tongue weight, meaning the tow capacity might really be as low as 3333 lb., without WDH. You are right in the sweet spot of single-axle trailer range.

Good stuff. Thanks for that, it helps me get a mental handle on what to be concerned with.

I'm sure you researched already but make sure that 4.7 V8 has been maintained. They're great engines but should have timing belts changed every 90k.

The rear springs can be a little soft but there are air bags and stiffer springs available.

Probably could pull 4-5K all day long and not be a problem. Need trailer brakes. Gonna agree with Ashful on the WDH thing. PITA, besides, if you really think about it, really screwy way to manipulate weight around on a vehicle. I have always thought if you need a WDH, it is too big of a load for the vehicle.

Reactions: Ashful
I'm sure you researched already but make sure that 4.7 V8 has been maintained. They're great engines but should have timing belts changed every 90k.

The rear springs can be a little soft but there are air bags and stiffer springs available.

Yep, timing belt was changed at 126k, and it now has 144k. I'll definitely keep an eye on that one. Good to know I can get stiffer springs, too. I'll likely stick with the single axle trailer so the stock springs might suffice, but we'll see.

Let's hope this is one of those Sequoias that you see running up to 250k+.

@vtwoodheater I like to go easy on older vehicles, so I'll not test the capacity of this. Instead I'll get the single axle and take a couple trips. I'm heating in Southern New Jersey, not VT, so I only use 3 or so cords a year.

Yep, timing belt was changed at 126k, and it now has 144k. I'll definitely keep an eye on that one. Good to know I can get stiffer springs, too. I'll likely stick with the single axle trailer so the stock springs might suffice, but we'll see.

Let's hope this is one of those Sequoias that you see running up to 250k+.

@vtwoodheater I like to go easy on older vehicles, so I'll not test the capacity of this. Instead I'll get the single axle and take a couple trips. I'm heating in Southern New Jersey, not VT, so I only use 3 or so cords a year.
Id go with air over stiffer springs for sure. No reason to comprise the comfort of the ride all the time for the few times you might need it.

Reactions: russb
might look into Timbrens ( replace the bumper stops on the axle). There when you need them but do not affect unloaded ride. Never had a lot of luck with air gadgets- dang sets are pricy and always seem to develop some sort of leak.

UPDATE: It took a while, but I found what I was looking for: a 2018 used (dirtbikes and ATVs, one trip to Florida) 5.5' x 10' utility trailer for $1k. It has wood walls on three sides, might make it harder to load wood. So far I hauled one load, was super easy for the Sequoia. I'll attach a photo, but it's kinda crappy.

GVW is like 2900 lb., with the trailer weight about 900 lb. 1/2 cord trips it shall be.

Not sure if it works to just link to a Google photo: https://photos.app.goo.gl/DEmGXDQDugQ1YYZWA

Edited to add: thanks to all for assistance on how to think about this.

Reactions: Ashful
That's a perfect fit, IMO.

Watch out, trailers are more addictive than chainsaws, I have five now.

might look into Timbrens ( replace the bumper stops on the axle). There when you need them but do not affect unloaded ride. Never had a lot of luck with air gadgets- dang sets are pricy and always seem to develop some sort of leak.
Love the TImbrens. You're not fussing with compressors and leaking lines. My 2WD Taco only has about 1/2'' space between the Timbren stop and the axle so on rough roads you do feel a bit of road vibration in the truck - and on rough turns you'll get a bit of wheel hop. Small price to pay to regain steering control with a full load on board.

This is a pic without the TImbrens and about 750kg of road base in the box...
P_20171102_163811_vHDR_Auto.jpg

This is two weeks later with the TImbrens installed and about 740kg in the box...
P_20171122_151209_vHDR_Auto.jpg

And of course with a couple loads of firewood...
P_20180928_121042.jpg P_20180928_180919.jpg

This is a pic without the TImbrens and about 750kg of road base in the box...
View attachment 231564
Wow. That’s ridiculous. According to the 2019 spec’s, you’re not even overloading it much, the listed payload is 726 kg. I understand they never die, and thus have gained a following, but I photos like that make me wonder why anyone would ever buy a Japanese truck.

Reactions: Jazzberry
Wow. That’s ridiculous. According to the 2019 spec’s, you’re not even overloading it much, the listed payload is 726 kg. I understand they never die, and thus have gained a following, but I photos like that make me wonder why anyone would ever buy a Japanese truck.
The Colorado and Ranger have similar payloads and still squat. The two main reasons I bought the truck were fuel economy(4cyl/5spd gets 36 on the highway) and I was commuting 120km daily for work, and I wanted a vehicle that I could drive for 20 years and not have it nickel and dime me to death. It's eight years old, 150,000 km, and I haven't spent a penny on it except for consumables and a few aftermarket add-ons.

The Colorado and Ranger have similar payloads and still squat. The two main reasons I bought the truck were fuel economy(4cyl/5spd gets 36 on the highway) and I was commuting 120km daily for work, and I wanted a vehicle that I could drive for 20 years and not have it nickel and dime me to death. It's eight years old, 150,000 km, and I haven't spent a penny on it except for consumables and a few aftermarket add-ons.

My son has a 2 wd Toyota extra cab 5 speed with a 4 banger. Gutless and can't put any kind of load in it without dragging the bumper. But he gets maybe 2 or 3 more mpg compared to my full size 4wd Chevy. Trying to do the speed limit in the mountains with the gutless 4 banger gets you a lot of middle fingers.